Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Which keys do you use?

WASD
29 (72.5%)
Arrow Keys
8 (20%)
Other (specify)
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: WASD or Arrow keys?  (Read 23709 times)

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
WASD or Arrow keys?
« on: March 05, 2008, 02:49:10 PM »
Just curious when gaming on the computer do you guys use the WASD or arrow keys, and why?
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Computer Hope Admin

Topic Starter
  • Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
Re: WASD or Arrow keys?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 02:51:15 PM »
Personally I use the arrow keys. Why? Just like the down arrow to be directly under the up arrow, of course that is when the keyboard actually has the down arrow below the up arrow. Some keyboards don't. Also I use the Nostromo N52, now so technically could of voted for other.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 05:45:44 AM »
WASD all the way.
It's closer to other keys like R for reload, E for enter, Q for chat maybe, and so on.

homer

Expert
    « Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 07:31:02 AM »
    WASD, because of what calum said and because it is more comfortable. WASD and my mouse are shoulder width apart so it feels natural, using the arrow keys, however, makes my left hand reach over all the way across my chest so its very uncomfortable.

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 09:00:15 AM »
      WASD for the same reasons as Calum and Homer.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

fpsmitch

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 08:17:31 AM »
        wasd because all of the buttons are right there...
        the same as calum and homer  ;D

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 09:37:54 AM »
          I consider that WASD harder to use cause you cant use the mouse as easyly if you need it.
          Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

homer

Expert
            « Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 11:00:15 AM »
            I consider that WASD harder to use cause you cant use the mouse as easyly if you need it.

:-\ is your mouse on your left hand side?

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
              • Yes
              • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 01:15:18 PM »
            It depends.

I voted "arrow keys" because I prefer them, but if I have to use the mouse at the same time, I use the WASD keys.  I are old school -- I've decided I like gaming on the PC better than on the gaming consoles like PlayStation.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 05:24:57 PM »

:-\ is your mouse on your left hand side?

Right, Im some what optical handed but I was never trained with my left even thought I was.
              Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 06:26:48 PM »
                i like using a game controller. i used a SNES controller and connected it to my LPT port for gaming.
                If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 02:33:23 AM »
                WSAD! Arrow keys..too close to the mouse and is uncomfortable, plus too far away from the other keys like Calum said  :)

michaewlewis

Intermediate
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 01:15:29 PM »
                I voted for the orange monkey.
                The only gaming I really do is Mario RPG on zsnes.... and I've never bothered to change the default arrow keys with cvdfer for the action buttons.

Right, Im some what optical handed but I was never trained with my left even thought I was.

What is optical handed? ???

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 08:13:32 PM »
                  being able to use both your left an right hands for tasks. 

michaewlewis

Intermediate
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 01:33:33 PM »
                  oh, you mean ambidextrous?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 03:07:26 PM »
                    yeah, dont use the word much tendence to forgot after I dont use them for so long.

leesablade

Greenhorn

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 03:19:30 PM »
                      depending on the game, but i normally prefer to use arrow keys

lobster_man

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 03:41:11 AM »
                        WASD ftw ^^

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 04:14:18 AM »
                          You can have more problems with the w,s,a,d then the arrows but its easier to pull out stuff.  But if your plaing like a spy game well you probably end up getting caught a whole. 

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 08:04:20 PM »
                            yea but if u hve a game that requires u to operate multiple keys similtaneously then it would be best to get a game pad. i can tell u that when i hooked up my SNES controller to my comp, and started playing Super Mario World, it became a blessing.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2008, 03:48:47 PM »
                              True I suppose but you can change them to make it easier usually.

quaxo

Guru
                                • Yes
                              « Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 08:54:08 PM »
                              I use a ZBoard. I have 8 keysets for the USB model. The one in the picture below, Battlefield II, the standard keyset, World of Warcraft, World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade (different keys from the original WoW keyset), the Crossfire keyset (the original gaming keyset distributed with PS/2 models, similar to the one in the picture with a slightly different key config on the left), and the Microsoft Office keyset. I also have the Everquest 2 keyset which I have never used since I don't own EQ2, but the keyset came free.

Using the ZEngine program, you can customize any of the keys to perform any other function if desired (great for remapping keys that can't be remapped) or setup a macro.

mcxeb52!

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 09:29:41 PM »
                              wish i was ambidextrous so that i could use the arrows or the WASD whenever I felt like it.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 03:33:00 AM »
                                I like to use a combo joystick an keyboard, make him walk with one use the other for artillery

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 03:01:51 PM »
                                  most importantly, if ever single game in the world would allow you to switch between arrow keys, joystick, gamepad, or WASD keys then we all probably wouldnt post comments on this form ;).(not being rude)

sjn2009

Intermediate

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 11:14:50 AM »
                                    I've always preferred WASD in FPS games. However when i started playing Grand Chase and World of Warcraft I found myself using Arrow keys than configuring all the keys around me including num pad to make it all easier. It's become a bit of a habit for me although I cant play FPS that style... Just too hard :P

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2008, 04:47:34 PM »
                                      except then when u want to type in nums when chatting on world of war craft then u would have to switch on the num lock every single time.

mcxeb52!

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2008, 07:34:31 PM »
                                      for FPS like battlefield or ocunterstrike, using the arrow keys would be like committing suicide. WASD all the way!!

quaxo

Guru
                                        • Yes
                                      « Reply #28 on: April 27, 2008, 11:09:26 PM »
                                      for FPS like battlefield or ocunterstrike, using the arrow keys would be like committing suicide. WASD all the way!!

Well, one very important thing to keep in mind is some people use a mouse with their left hand. I can actually do both: mouse left and arrow keys right -OR- mouse right and WASD left. Even though I can, I typically don't, given the keyboard I use (ZBoard, see my previous post in this thread).

But, on a normal keyboard, trying to use WASD and a left hand mouse is like trying to use the arrow keys with a right handed mouse... either way it's very awkward.

homer

Expert
                                        « Reply #29 on: April 27, 2008, 11:35:06 PM »

i actually use the arrows when i am flying in battlefield 2 and 2142. i find it alot easier then the mouse, especially when making extremely sharp turns or dives.

quaxo

Guru
                                          • Yes
                                        « Reply #30 on: April 27, 2008, 11:41:30 PM »
                                        i actually use the arrows when i am flying in battlefield 2 and 2142. i find it alot easier then the mouse, especially when making extremely sharp turns or dives.

I've got a joystick with rudder control I use for that.  :P You should see me fly a helicopter in BF2. I can fly through buildings, under bridges, and lots of other fun things. Scares the crap out of my passengers, but I'm good enough with it that I never crash anymore.

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 01:07:49 PM »
                                          WASD since the days of Wolfenstein 3D!
                                          Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

Blink

Intermediate
                                          • It just sounds to me like you need to unplug, man.
                                            « Reply #32 on: May 05, 2008, 02:06:51 AM »
                                            wasd for sure. easier to hit other keys quickly when your in a game the requires you to hits lot of buttons at the same time (most games these days).

NOT ADMIN :P

Intermediate

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 12:36:09 AM »

I've got a joystick with rudder control I use for that.  :P You should see me fly a helicopter in BF2. I can fly through buildings, under bridges, and lots of other fun things. Scares the crap out of my passengers, but I'm good enough with it that I never crash anymore.

I hope you still use the wsad keys to strafe and boost the chopper/jets

because reaching for the f2 button would be a bit awkward from the arrow keys.

Are you any good at solo TVing opponents?

Would be hard going from arrows to mouse and directing the missile in a split second :P

impresive if you can do it though :D

Incidious

Rookie

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2008, 01:02:26 PM »
                                                WASD all the way.
                                                It's closer to other keys like R for reload, E for enter, Q for chat maybe, and so on.

Indeed the way to go.  You loose that fraction of a second that is much needed when trying to stretch your finger from the arrow keys over the "gap of death" to the neighboring keys.  That fraction of a second could cost you your life.

Timing is everything... ;D

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2008, 02:20:20 PM »
                                                  Timing is everything...

I agree, espicially when ur playin Halo, as a sniper, u must have execellent timining to nail a moving oppenent.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2008, 04:53:22 PM »
                                                    I use the arrow keys to do that too the only problem isnt getting the rifle out its missing.  But im a fairlly good sniper.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                                    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                                                      • Yes
                                                      • Yes
                                                      • BC-Programming.com
                                                    • Experience: Beginner
                                                    « Reply #37 on: May 09, 2008, 08:17:44 PM »
                                                    I'm a strange one as far as config goes- I have no idea when but at some point I was playing an FPS with just a keyboard. Then I switched to a mouse & keyboard and for some reason chose not WSAD but rather EDSF. I believe the game with Duke Nukem 3d and for some reason I wanted to use A to jump. So Now I can either change my configurations in all my games from EDSF or just configure new games I get for my config. Since I have to tinker with the controls anyway, I go with the latter.

Which presents a problem with N64 emulation- I have to reconfigure it to use my good ol' FPS keys- but then it just feels wrong.
                                                    I use the arrow keys to do that too the only problem isnt getting the rifle out its missing.  But im a fairlly good sniper.

Are you saying you use the keyboard to snipe! Wow- when I was using just the keyboard I always had problems with accuracy- especially when no matter how short you hold the key down it jumps to the other side of the target!

I guess it lowers the sensitivity in newer games though, so it wouldn't be as hard.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2008, 03:12:24 AM »
                                                      Sorry I forgot to mention that I use the mouse as the trigger but I need the board to bring the scope up. 

Igor_Munster

Rookie

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2008, 05:53:14 AM »
                                                        I'm right handed.  WASD for left...mouse for right.  Using WASD put the keyboard right in front of me for use of the other keys while gaming (G-15 keyboard has a lot of stuff)  If I used the arrows, most of the keyboard would be off to my left.  Sometimes I use my Nostromo but not often anymore since I got the G15.
                                                        If you can read this, thank an English teacher.
                                                        If you can read this in English, thank a soldier!

reaper_tbs

Apprentice

• Yes
                                                          • Google
                                                        • Experience: Experienced
                                                        « Reply #40 on: May 15, 2008, 09:01:03 AM »
                                                        I'm right handed.  WASD for left...mouse for right.  Using WASD put the keyboard right in front of me for use of the other keys while gaming (G-15 keyboard has a lot of stuff)  If I used the arrows, most of the keyboard would be off to my left.  Sometimes I use my Nostromo but not often anymore since I got the G15.

Same here. Same keyboard and configuration.
                                                        Computer Hope

If I don't reply, I'm probably out returning videotapes.