Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Which keys do you use?

WASD
29 (72.5%)
Arrow Keys
8 (20%)
Other (specify)
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: WASD or Arrow keys?  (Read 23708 times)

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: WASD or Arrow keys?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2008, 11:41:30 PM »
i actually use the arrows when i am flying in battlefield 2 and 2142. i find it alot easier then the mouse, especially when making extremely sharp turns or dives.

I've got a joystick with rudder control I use for that.  :P You should see me fly a helicopter in BF2. I can fly through buildings, under bridges, and lots of other fun things. Scares the crap out of my passengers, but I'm good enough with it that I never crash anymore.

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 01:07:49 PM »
    WASD since the days of Wolfenstein 3D!
    Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

Blink

Intermediate
    • It just sounds to me like you need to unplug, man.
      « Reply #32 on: May 05, 2008, 02:06:51 AM »
      wasd for sure. easier to hit other keys quickly when your in a game the requires you to hits lot of buttons at the same time (most games these days).

NOT ADMIN :P

Intermediate

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 12:36:09 AM »
        i actually use the arrows when i am flying in battlefield 2 and 2142. i find it alot easier then the mouse, especially when making extremely sharp turns or dives.

I've got a joystick with rudder control I use for that.  :P You should see me fly a helicopter in BF2. I can fly through buildings, under bridges, and lots of other fun things. Scares the crap out of my passengers, but I'm good enough with it that I never crash anymore.

I hope you still use the wsad keys to strafe and boost the chopper/jets

because reaching for the f2 button would be a bit awkward from the arrow keys.

Are you any good at solo TVing opponents?

Would be hard going from arrows to mouse and directing the missile in a split second :P

impresive if you can do it though :D

Incidious

Rookie

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2008, 01:02:26 PM »
          WASD all the way.
          It's closer to other keys like R for reload, E for enter, Q for chat maybe, and so on.

Indeed the way to go.  You loose that fraction of a second that is much needed when trying to stretch your finger from the arrow keys over the "gap of death" to the neighboring keys.  That fraction of a second could cost you your life.

Timing is everything... ;D

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2008, 02:20:20 PM »
            Timing is everything...

I agree, espicially when ur playin Halo, as a sniper, u must have execellent timining to nail a moving oppenent.
            If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2008, 04:53:22 PM »
              I use the arrow keys to do that too the only problem isnt getting the rifle out its missing.  But im a fairlly good sniper.
              Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #37 on: May 09, 2008, 08:17:44 PM »
              I'm a strange one as far as config goes- I have no idea when but at some point I was playing an FPS with just a keyboard. Then I switched to a mouse & keyboard and for some reason chose not WSAD but rather EDSF. I believe the game with Duke Nukem 3d and for some reason I wanted to use A to jump. So Now I can either change my configurations in all my games from EDSF or just configure new games I get for my config. Since I have to tinker with the controls anyway, I go with the latter.

Which presents a problem with N64 emulation- I have to reconfigure it to use my good ol' FPS keys- but then it just feels wrong.
              I use the arrow keys to do that too the only problem isnt getting the rifle out its missing.  But im a fairlly good sniper.

Are you saying you use the keyboard to snipe! Wow- when I was using just the keyboard I always had problems with accuracy- especially when no matter how short you hold the key down it jumps to the other side of the target!

I guess it lowers the sensitivity in newer games though, so it wouldn't be as hard.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2008, 03:12:24 AM »
                Sorry I forgot to mention that I use the mouse as the trigger but I need the board to bring the scope up. 
                Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Igor_Munster

Rookie

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2008, 05:53:14 AM »
                  I'm right handed.  WASD for left...mouse for right.  Using WASD put the keyboard right in front of me for use of the other keys while gaming (G-15 keyboard has a lot of stuff)  If I used the arrows, most of the keyboard would be off to my left.  Sometimes I use my Nostromo but not often anymore since I got the G15.
                  If you can read this, thank an English teacher.
                  If you can read this in English, thank a soldier!

reaper_tbs

Apprentice

• Yes
                    • Google
                  • Certifications: List
                  • Experience: Experienced
                  « Reply #40 on: May 15, 2008, 09:01:03 AM »
                  I'm right handed.  WASD for left...mouse for right.  Using WASD put the keyboard right in front of me for use of the other keys while gaming (G-15 keyboard has a lot of stuff)  If I used the arrows, most of the keyboard would be off to my left.  Sometimes I use my Nostromo but not often anymore since I got the G15.

Same here. Same keyboard and configuration.
                  Computer Hope

If I don't reply, I'm probably out returning videotapes.