Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless Internet  (Read 4876 times)

Erin A

Wireless Internet
« on: January 23, 2005, 10:32:15 AM »
 Hi,

I am thinking about purchasing a Compaq Presario M2000 series laptop.  It comes with "54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM)".  I understand this allows me to connect with to the internet wirelessly but I was wondering if someone could sort of explain to me how this works.  What I really need to know is what type of internet do I need (broadband, DSL, etc.) & maybe what provider I should choose.  I don't really know too much about computers (I'm getting this one so I can get my degree online).  Please help!!!   ???

Doug Vitale

Beginner

• Was that so hard?
    • Doug Vitale Tech Blog
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Wireless Internet
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 08:42:35 AM »
Hi,

I am thinking about purchasing a Compaq Presario M2000 series laptop.  It comes with "54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM)".  I understand this allows me to connect with to the internet wirelessly but I was wondering if someone could sort of explain to me how this works.  What I really need to know is what type of internet do I need (broadband, DSL, etc.) & maybe what provider I should choose.

You can get DSL or cable; it depends on your preference. Both cable and DSL may or may not be available in your area.

As for an Internet Service Provider, you'll have to see which ones are available in your area. If you go with cable Internet, your ISP will be your cable TV provider. If you choose DSL, your ISP will most likely be your phone service provider. However, if you use AOL, you can get hi-speed AOL service through them. There's really no one definite answer.

When you get your Internet service set up, you'll need to connect your DSL or cable modem to a wireless router. It will most likely be a Linksys router. Then you need to configure your router to be able to talk with your PC. Your PC will need a wireless NIC (network interface card). The router should come with a setup CD that should help you establish connectivity between your PC and the router.