Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What happened to my AGP?!  (Read 2088 times)

Anachronist

What happened to my AGP?!
« on: March 15, 2008, 05:21:57 PM »
Hey all. :)

OK, for the past few days I've been trying to install a new AGP graphics card (Radeon PowerColor X1550) to replace my old one (Radeon 9000 Pro) whose fan recently bit the dust, unfortunately with no success, everytime I boot up I just get a blank black screen and a blinking monitor light tho Windows loads just fine, I always hear the start-up theme.

At first I thought that it might be a compatibility issue given that the new card is x8 and my motherboard (Intel 845GE) is 4x, even tho I'd been assured that an 8x card should run in a 4x slot without issues, just at 4x instead of 8x. Even the above-linked mobo description cites the AGP 1.5v 4x interface thusly: High-bandwidth interface enables upgradeability to latest graphics cards and is compatible with universal AGP8x graphics cards (1.5V)

Anyway, that speed compatibility wasn't the problem here became glaringly obvious when I reinserted my old 2x card just to see what would happen - the exact same thing: blank black screen and blinking monitor light indicating no reception.

So now my old card wasn't working either, I deduced it had to be something to do with the old drivers I had uninstalled prior to attempting to install the new card. I tested this hypothesis by doing a system restore to before I uninstalled the old card's drivers and lo and behold, it worked, the old card came back to life. Then I reversed the restoration back and it was blank black screen and blinking monitor light again.

Then I figured that maybe the uninstallation had inadvertantly messed up my system's AGP settings, so I checked in BIOS to see if AGP was still set as default. It was:

Video Configuration----Allows selecting an AGP or PCI video controller as the display device that will be active when system boots

AGP APERTURE SIZE  (128 MB)
PRIMARY VIDEO ADAPTER (AGP)
FRAME BUFFER SIZE (1 MB)

Then I thought that maybe the mobo chipset drivers were to blame, I updated them with no change in result, neither the old card nor the new card were being recognized, the old card only if a system restore was peformed to before the initial driver uninstallation.

At this point I was totally confuzzled and decided to do a system scan just in case I had missed something, I used CPU-Z and AIDA32 and these are the results pertaining to AGP status:

Now compare those to these (other people's system specs):

As you can see, the scans don't show any AGP properties AT ALL, as if it's non-existant on my system, which obviously isn't the case.

I would bet that if I resolved this conundrum I'd have all the other issues licked.

So, any ideas as to what might be causing this conspicuous absence and how would I go about fixing it?

Thanks.