Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU Keeps Locking Up  (Read 4326 times)

BlackCat007

CPU Keeps Locking Up
« on: January 24, 2005, 11:36:27 PM »
I have a Gateway desktop, runs on Windows ME.  Been having problems with it locking up off and on.  So I was running diagnostics often.  Now it's locked up on the desktop but doesn't completely show the true desktop, e.g., the screen is black when it should be white; the icons are there, but the mouse and system immediately locks up and won't move and the keyboard will not work anything.  I tried the ctrl+alt+del--nothing.  I have to push the reset button each time to power down.  When I reboot it runs the scan disk, then goes to the desktop and locks up, as described above.

Can I bypass the desktop to run diagnostics?  If so, how?  Besides going out and buying a new CPU, can anyone suggest what I should do?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: CPU Keeps Locking Up
    « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 01:01:27 AM »
    BlackCat007  
    " So I was running diagnostics often." So is that how you came to the conclusion that the CPU is the cause of the problem ?   Have you tried booting into the safe mode ?   Perhaps you should consider a format and a clean install of ME . Unless you know something we don't .........I would guess the problem isn't the CPU.

let us know

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 01:02:00 AM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.