Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: downloads  (Read 9443 times)

db1333

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: downloads
    « Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 10:03:54 PM »
    yes, I am a paid NYT puzzle subscriber.

when I clicked on the javatester link provided, my browser crashed the same way.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 09:46:10 AM »
    If you have Java installed, it will appear in your Add or Remove Programs list and your Control Panel will have a separate icon for Java.  So, is it installed or not?

db1333

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 05:05:19 PM »
      it is installed.

an experienced person I talked to today believes my computer in infected by a virus, despite my up-to-date norton antivirus scan showing no virus.

pcsourcepoint

Beginner

• Linking For Knowledge
        « Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 07:17:32 PM »
        Try hijackthis which might show malware/spyware/unknown programs during start up and you can remove by ticking fix checked (care though - you need to know the programs) and then run it again...

MP3 Free Software Downloads (My Freeware
         reviews for MP3's - Encoders, Editors, Burners, extractors, etc)

Computer Tech Links (My Tips of Internet/Blog/Computer/Software)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 08:11:02 PM »
        Soybean and Broni are both experienced...finish answering there questions and they may find the fix...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

db1333

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 10:07:34 PM »
          I don't know what "ticking fix checked" means, and I think I'm in over my head here.

There is a service called Geek Squad that only charges $350 to come to my house and take care of a computer problem, so I think I should probably just let them do it.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 10:12:48 PM »
          I'm not one to say you would be wasting your $$ but that's up to you...keep in mind anything you don't understand can be answered here...
          Yes it takes patience and isn't immediate but only you can determine the dollar value of that.
          Either way good luck and welcome to CH.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 10:41:24 AM »
          db1333, tell us more about your computer.  How many memory, size of hard drive, how much free space on hard drive, processor speed? 

Try hijackthis which might show malware/spyware/unknown programs during start up and you can remove by ticking fix checked (care though - you need to know the programs) and then run it again...
          You may need to do as pcsourcepoint and get hijackthis, but, I suggest first downloading CCleaner and running it to do some system cleanup.  Then, let's see whether there's any improvement.   Go to http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds and get the Slim version.  Run the Windows scan and delete all the items it finds.  Then, run the Registry scan, backup your registry when prompted, and then tell CCleaner to fix all items.  Repeat the Registry scan, since it may find additional items upon a repeat scan.

db1333

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 08:57:14 PM »
            i'm not sure what it means to backup a registry.

db1333

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2008, 09:06:30 PM »
              I ran the suggested scans from the slim version, but the browser still crashes from any presence of java.

db1333

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2008, 06:54:59 AM »
                also, now that I ran the slim version of ccleaner, a program (adobe reader) wouldn't quit and the computer wouldn't restart.  I had to restart the computer by pushing the power button on the tower.

soybean

Genius
                « Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 09:38:48 AM »
                i'm not sure what it means to backup a registry.
                When you run CCleaner's Registry scan and click on "Fix selected issues", CCleaner prompts, i.e. asks, you to backup the registry.  You can elect to do so, or not.  When CCleaner fixes issues found during the registry scan, it's makes changes to the registry.  Backing it up gives before the fixing step provides a copy of the registry that could be re-installed should some problem arise from the registry cleaning procedure. 

soybean

Genius
                « Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 09:50:58 AM »
                also, now that I ran the slim version of ccleaner, a program (adobe reader) wouldn't quit and the computer wouldn't restart.  I had to restart the computer by pushing the power button on the tower.
                CCleaner is very safe, which is why it's often recommended in forums.  It will not cause Adobe Reader to malfunction.  I think you have other issues.

I'm about out of ideas here.  Perhaps someone else has something to offer.  I believe a formatting of your hard drive and fresh installation of Windows is probably the ideal solution, due to the myriad of problems you seem to have.  Formatting erases everything on your hard drive so, if you're thinking of proceeding in this direction, you need to have all your important files, email messages/accounts/address book, IE Favorites and/or Firefox Bookmarks, etc., backed up if you want to restore them all to a fresh installation of Windows. 

db1333

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 10:23:43 AM »
                  ok.

how do I save the e-mail stuff (address book, etc.) if I use a yahoo.com address?  Isn't all that stuff remembered somewhere else?  If I use another computer, all that info will still be there, regardless of what I do to this pc, right?

I'd just have to save actual documents and things, I guess.