Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: pdf files - can you help?  (Read 5772 times)

Dawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

pdf files - can you help?
    « on: March 27, 2008, 09:24:05 AM »
    Everytime I create a pdf file and send it to someone by outlook Express they get 14 copies of the file, none of which will open.

I have run a virus and malware check - clean

I have uninstalled and installed the latest version of dopf - still 14 files sent

I have installed and tried cutepdf writer - 14 files sent again!!

Dawn

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: pdf files - can you help?
    « Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 06:41:08 PM »
    I have uninstalled and installed the latest version of dopf - still 14 files sent
    dopf is ???

pcsourcepoint

Beginner

• Linking For Knowledge
      « Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 05:06:13 AM »
      does outlook to this to any other file that it sends? If so, it may be corrupt.
      If you are sending to the same recipient, maybe get then to do a anti-virus/spyware check at their end if possible...

Maybe email the pdf to yourself (or another e-mail account that you have), and see if the problem persists...
      MP3 Free Software Downloads (My Freeware
       reviews for MP3's - Encoders, Editors, Burners, extractors, etc)

Computer Tech Links (My Tips of Internet/Blog/Computer/Software)

Dawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 11:20:04 AM »
        I can send pdf files from my online Sky account OK - the problem is only when I send pdf with Outlook Express

If I send pdf to myself I get the same problem as sending to someone else - just in express

I can send and receive other attachments Ok in express -

Trawling around various forums where others have had this problem - their  answers are
        a recent update to express has caused this problem

AV auto checking  has caused it.

I'm inclined to favour 1 and hope Microsoft will do something about it soon!

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 12:40:56 PM »

Trawling around various forums where others have had this problem - their  answers are
        a recent update to express has caused this problem

AV auto checking  has caused it.
        1)I use OE and I just sent a test message to myself with a PDF file attached.  I received ONE copy.  Can you provide more details on where you got that info? 
        2) What AV program are you talking about?

Dawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 01:15:54 PM »
          I read that in the Microsoft outlook express help forum - I wasn't the only one this has happened to.

If it worked OK for you perhaps it's my settings - but I haven't changed anything since my files went without any problem before.

It happened after trying to download a large pdf file from a website that took ages, said it was done but the file was blank - said it was 8 pages, but it was just grey.

Another theory was to do with the settings on splitting up big files.

My server time out was only 1 minute so I've just changed it to 5 to see if that makes a difference -

no I still get 6 copies of ATT000---.dat (all six different three nos at end) and no pdf file

If I look at the send and receive pop up I can see that it is sending 6 copies.

I use AVG free antivirus - another suggestion was to remove any av prog  before sending.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 02:17:38 PM »
          Can you post the link to that forum discussion?  Don't worry about posting it here.

It happened after trying to download a large pdf file from a website that took ages, said it was done but the file was blank - said it was 8 pages, but it was just grey.
          What became of that?  Do you still have a file on your hard drive from that download?  Are you using Adobe Reader for your PDF files?  Is it working right?  You can open it and then open PDF files OK?

My server time out was only 1 minute so I've just changed it to 5 to see if that makes a difference -
          EXACTLY what setting are you talking about?  Where is it? 

I use AVG free antivirus - another suggestion was to remove any av prog  before sending.
          I use AVG, too.  I don't think it's related to your problem.

Dawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 11:12:35 AM »
            "Can you post the link to that forum discussion? "
            http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?query=pdf+file+attachments&dg=&cat=en_US_d02fc761-3f6b-402c-82f6-ba1a8875c1a7&lang=en&cr=&pt=&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

"What became of that? Do you still have a file on your hard drive from that download?"

It was an online download not saved to disc
            I have deleted all my temporary internet files

"Are you using Adobe Reader for your PDF files?  Is it working right?  You can open it and then open PDF files OK?"

Yes, yes and yes!
            I am using dopdf to convert my files to pdf to send

"EXACTLY what setting are you talking about?  Where is it?"

Increase the length for server time-outs In express
            On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
            Select the account, and then click Properties.
            On the Advanced tab, in the Server Timeouts area, move the slider to the right.

The problem is only when I send pdf files in express - no problem if I send them with online mail

The problem can't be with the dopdf printer as files converted with it go OK with online mail. I even tried other pdf creators to see if the same thing happened in express - and it did!!

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 01:14:25 PM »
            I have run a ... malware check - clean
            With what?

Let's give CCleaner a try here.  Get the Slim version at http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds  Run the Windows scan and have CCleaner remove all from your hard drive.  Before running the Windows scan, you may want to unselect some of the scan options, but I the more you can include, the more effective the scan is going to be.  Then, run the Registry scan.  When prompted to backup the registry, do so.  When CCleaner has finished the registry scan, have it fix all items found.  Repeat the Registry scan, since it may find additional items upon a repeat scan.

Dawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 01:34:25 PM »
              Last time i used CCleaner I ended up having to system restore - so I'm nor sure about this!

soybean

Genius
              « Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 02:14:18 PM »
              Many of us use CCleaner on a regular basis.  Of course, having some Restore Points stored is generally a good thing, in case System Restore is ever needed. 

Here's one expert's recommendation on Running & Configuring CCleaner

Dawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
                well I've run CCleaner - windows and registry -

then sent a test pdf in express

only 3 copies arrived this time, but still dat. files not pdf

Any more ideas?

soybean

Genius
                « Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 02:38:57 PM »
                So, the files come through on the receiving end with file extension .dat.  Is that right?

In OE, if you open the test message you sent yourself, do you see the PDF file attached to the message?  Can you open it from there, and it opens and displays correctly?

Dawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 03:02:11 PM »
                  no - in express I just get multiple copies of a dat.file every time  - they open to a vast amount of text

in online email I get the same file ok -as an openable pdf file - one copy only

I have now just tried the reset option for Explorer which is also supposed to repair express - just got three dat files again!

Just changed break apart message length to longer than 120kb - was at default 60kb
                  and sending again - but I don't see why this should work any better - since a week or so ago everything was working perfectly on the 60kb setting.

No - still getting sent as part 1, 2, 3 of 3 when you look at the send and receive box
                  Express is insisting on splitting my file every time, but can't put it back together!

Dawn

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 03:05:56 PM »

I think I'll just have to give up and go online every time I send a pdf file!!