Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Download cutting off  (Read 3762 times)

Ellen

Download cutting off
« on: March 14, 2004, 11:10:18 AM »
My sister is driving me nuts with questions ???, so please help if you can! Her new Dell with XP cuts off all program downloads about halfway through..after repeated tries. She has Earthlink, as do I, and there is no dowload time limitation that I know of, and my downloads complete okay.   Is there something in XP that you set to allow a certain size file to download?  

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Download cutting off
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 01:53:09 PM »
Ellen,

There is no such setting that we are aware of that would allow you to cut off a download. Usually a download may be cut off because of line noise or errors that are occurring while the file is being downloaded, the download is being sent to slow therefore the side providing the file stops the download, and/or any other number of possibilities.

You may want to make sure that the computer has no errors or conflicts in device manager, as it could be possible that if the modem or network card that she is using to connect to the Internet has no conflicts or errors on it. This can be checked through device manager, additional information about device manager can be found on the below link.

http://www.computerhope.com/win95er.htm

Additionally you should also have her make sure there are no updates available for Windows and/or any devices installed in the computer by visiting Microsoft Windows Update’s page at:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Finally, if she continues to have the issue, you may want to consider trying a “download manger” these programs will help manage a download and if a download cancels be able to resume from the spot it stopped at. There are numerous types of these programs available, below is a link for a search done in Google for “download manager”.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=download+manager
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

dugis

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 05:55:00 PM »
Ellen....make sure your sis does not have a cordless phone sharing the same phone jack.  This will sometimes cause static while the modem in your computer is communicating. :D
Best of luck 8)

2k dummy

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 08:56:49 PM »
And don't let anyone pick up an extension phone. That is a guaranteed instant disconnect.

dugis

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 10:51:42 AM »
If there is DSL available in her area, she may want to consider this as well.  Downloads are much faster and will share the same phoneline. :o ;D :D

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 01:41:13 PM »
Posted on: Mar 14th, 2004, 11:10am is should have sort by now ::)