Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please write me a batch file  (Read 1937 times)

Dias de verano

Please write me a batch file
« on: March 30, 2008, 04:43:22 AM »
What do people think about posters who ask "how do I do xyz in a batch file?", and you tell them, (i.e. summarize the steps) and they go "Uh?" and make it clear they really meant, "Please write me a batch file that does xyz?". I have a problem with doing people's homework or paid work for them. Am I being unecessarily unhelpful?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Please write me a batch file
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 08:35:53 AM »
Actually i'd say the opposite...you've been more than patient with most of them in the past.
Maybe just posting links to decent reference sources when you feel they are not putting any effort in and wishing them luck with it is the best approach.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Please write me a batch file
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 07:59:14 PM »
No, it's one thing if someone's truly stuck -- even if it is homework -- and you can tell they're making an effort, or trying to work out the problem (and I've seen you help these folks), but it's quite another to just ask for the code without any effort (or at least a reasonable explanation of why it should be provided gratis.

(Not saying you should give services away, just saying these folks, some of them, don't even know how to properly ask / beg to make one even consider just giving away something.)

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"