Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Messenger Popup- Virus?  (Read 4463 times)

Tim_D

Windows Messenger Popup- Virus?
« on: January 28, 2005, 09:10:11 AM »
I installed XP Pro yesterday and now I am constantly getting a popup from a Windows Messenger wanting to redirect me to their URL to fix the problems on my computer and various other things. I have run Spy Sweeper and Spython and also had System Mechanic go thru the registry. I deleted everything that came up but it is still there. I tried running Spy Sweeper in safe mode but it wont because it doesnt load the definitions.Any suggstions on how to fix this? Thanks

Corrosive

Re: Windows Messenger Popup- Virus?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 02:05:10 PM »
Not a virus, not adware, not spyware, not crackers.

What has happened here is that some idiot script kiddie has found a way of sending messages across th enet using a tool that is most commonly used to send messages across a network.

What you need to do is go into the Control Panel, then into Add/Remove Programs, then into Windows Setup (or at least something to that effect; I use 98SE just now). Then you need to find Messenger and uninstall it. So long as you don't need it yourself to send messages across a network, it's the easiest way.

By the way, a quick word of warning. This is just "Messenger" you are looking for, not "Windows Messenger" or "MSN Messenger", which are completely seperate and completely unrelated apps.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 02:39:19 PM »
    Tim_D...If your still having problems with Windows Messenger ......Try this .......open Windows Messenger ....when the sign in box appears ........click tools/options ......when that window opens .....click the preferance tab .......and remove the check mark from Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts.......
    Now click OK and close up Windows Messenger .......next go down to the lower right corner of your screen and right click on Windows Messenger and select  Exit ......Reboot and Windows Messenger shouldn't be there anymore .......If you want it you can always start it manually from the list in "ALL PROGRAMS"

Hope this helps ....

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Tim_D

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 09:55:46 PM »
    I tried what you guys said to do but I am still having the same problem. Any other suggestions? ???

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 10:27:48 PM »
    Try this... Go into the control panel, and open Administrative Tools... Next, double-click on Services... After, scroll down, until you see messenger .... Double click on that... Next, a small window will display... Now, you will see Startup Type... There will be a selection box underneath... Make sure that Messenger Service is DISABLED... Does this help?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Corrosive

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 01:17:43 PM »
    Did anyone actually read my post?  ::)

Tim_D

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 09:16:18 PM »
    Well guys that seemed to take care of it, and Corrosive I did read your post and appreciate the help. Sorry it took so long to reply, I was out of town. Thanks again.

Corrosive

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 11:52:07 AM »
    No no no, Tim. I was actually referring to the fact that two other people who posted afterwards didn't bother reading anything I said.

dl65, see the last paragraph on my post. Flame, see... my whole post (although you did give more accurate details, which is always good)...
    « Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 11:53:58 AM by Corrosive »