Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ping Test - Modem Problem?  (Read 5929 times)

xhairs

Topic Starter

Rookie

Ping Test - Modem Problem?
    « on: April 14, 2008, 06:58:27 PM »
    Hey guys.  I was being disconnected a lot from my network (wireless) but I just bought a brand new netgear router that's top of the line, so I thought it was my modem.

I ran a ping test in the cmd window using ping -t www.google.com and found that I was getting the "request time out" about one out of every 20 or 30 times, sometimes up to four of them in a row.  Is this my modem?  Any help appreciated.

P.S. I currently have a Motorola SURFboard SB5120 that I bought about two years ago.  Recently it has been weird and not starting the network up, just the power lights, however this problem has been going on for quite some time.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Ping Test - Modem Problem?
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 08:48:18 PM »
    It looks like modem problem.

rej38675

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 08:37:02 AM »
      Can you run a temporary patch cable directly from your new router to the PC?  If the reslults are the same hard wired to the router, then I'd say it the modem.

xhairs

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 05:07:34 PM »
        What is that?  Do I connect the router straight to the cpu with the modem?

rej38675

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 08:26:44 AM »
          yeah, When I said patch cord, I'm referring to a cat 5, cat 5E, or cat 6 cable with RJ45 ends.  It's a cable that looks just like the one you prolly have going from the modem to the router.  Yes, run the extra patch cable from a port on the router to the laptop or PC.  If the problem stays then it's most likely not your wireless or your router, which points to the modem.  If the probelm goes away, it maybe the wireless not functioning correctly.

xhairs

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 11:19:09 AM »
            oh yeah I've done that and the internet stills goes in and out.  i'm going to get a new modem but what if the problem continues? any other ideas?

rej38675

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 09:06:17 AM »
              Possible a bad router, If you want to rule out the router, Plug the patch cable from the router directly to the PC.  If it still does it, then you have it narrowed down to a bad modem.  "As long as you know you patch cables are good"

sharimila7

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 06:32:58 AM »
              I test the ping test here http://www.whoisxy.com/  and also i got the whois information,domain to ip,ip to domain,etc....