Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft to Limit Capabilities of Cheap Laptops  (Read 6034 times)

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Microsoft to Limit Capabilities of Cheap Laptops
« on: May 11, 2008, 01:25:35 AM »
From PCWorld.com through Yahoo! News:

Partial quote (see link for complete article):
Microsoft is launching a program to promote the use of its Windows OS in ultra low-cost PCs, one effect of which will be to limit the hardware capabilities of this type of device, IDG News Service has learned.

Microsoft plans to offer PC makers steep discounts on Windows XP Home Edition to encourage them to use that OS instead of Linux on ultra low-cost PCs (ULPCs). To be eligible, however, the PC vendors that make ULPCs must limit screen sizes to 10.2 inches and hard drives to 80G bytes, and they cannot offer touch-screen PCs.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Microsoft to Limit Capabilities of Cheap Laptops
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 06:25:34 PM »
Good Luck Microsoft... Going to really be hard to compete with *nix when they limit and put restrictions on their own OS as a substitute.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 02:01:36 PM »
I smell more anti-trust legislation...i think the Legal division is the only one turning a profit in Redmond since the Vista release so they're willing to try anything.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 08:57:06 PM »
Microsoft is launching a program to promote the use of its Windows OS in ultra low-cost PCs
Hmmm, I thought, it's been in works already....Vista computers with 1GB of RAM, XP computers with 256MB of RAM, etc.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 07:38:24 PM »
And they insist that the manufacturers install a root-kit that communicates with microsoft headquarters, so they can um- "improve the customer experience". One way to do that would have been to concentrate some effort on improving malware protection in Vista rather then making sure that nobody can copy a single frame of their HD movie to any media.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.