Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: linksys wired router no longer working  (Read 2218 times)

kannd86

linksys wired router no longer working
« on: May 13, 2008, 01:40:35 PM »
Last week I noticed the internet connection getting slower, it would take forever for pictures to load.  THen it basically stopped altogether.  I called optimum online and we determined that the router is the problem.  When the laptop is plugged directly into the modem, the internet works fine.  When both computers go through the router, no internet or very very sluggish internet if we're lucky.  It is a linksys BEFSR41 v.2.  I went to the linksys support forum (since they wanted to charge me 35 bucks over the phone) and it appears many other people have experienced this problem.  I've had the router for years with no trouble.  Can anyone recommend a way of fixing this problem or can you recommend a new router?  My brother wants to have both wired and wireless internet in the house and not spend a ton of money.  Maybe we should give up on this router and buy a new one.  Should we steer clear of linksys?  Any help would be appreciated.  This is getting frustrating.  Thanks.

brett74

Apprentice

Re: linksys wired router no longer working
    « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 03:50:29 PM »
    I would unplug the router for about 30 seconds or so then plug it back in. If that doesn't work there's something wrong with the router. I have a linksys wrt54g and I've been very happy with it. depending on where you live you can get it for about 50 bucks. I'll check around the linksys website to see if I can find a solution for you. I looked around and for some reason they are having a problem with your router model I would get the wrt54g model it's both wired and wireless. I've had it for about 2 years now and I've never had a problem with it.