Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Deleted password for Windows 2000  (Read 4421 times)

rvaughn1

Deleted password for Windows 2000
« on: May 09, 2008, 09:48:45 AM »
I recently bought a used laptop from someone I've known a long time.  I wanted to set up a navigation system using Street Atlas and a GPS receiver.

The laptop asks for a password when first turned on and another one when Windows is starting.  I didn't want to have to enter two passwords sso I went into Control Panal and deleted the second password.

Now I can't log onto Windows.

Any help will be appreciated.

cryhelp

Hopeful
  • Only the educated are free=Epictetus
    Re: Deleted password for Windows 2000
    « Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 10:27:14 AM »
    Password help is posted here at least once a day.  It is not that we don't believe "the kids did it, the dog ate it, etc." reasons.   The possibility of helping do something illegal exists, therefore I don't think anyone here can help you.  Sorry. 8)
    "Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education"  Mark Twain

Dias de verano

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 10:34:55 AM »
    I recently bought a used laptop from someone I've known a long time.

This is the advice you'll get here:

Legally, a laptop should be sold either OS-free or with a licensed OS (that is, you get the install disk that blongs with the computer) So you haven't lost anything. Set it to boot from the legal Windows install disk that belongs with it (you did get one, didn't you?) and set it up the way you want it.

llmeyer1000

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 06:31:52 PM »
      How did you delete the password?

You should have entered "nothing" as the new password. If you entered anything at all, even spaces you may have actually changed the password rather than deleting it as you wanted to.

There is a chance(probably slim) that you could get into safe mode and correct the password issue. Press F8 a couple of times shortly after exiting the bios password screen. Select "Safe Mode". Depending on the setup, you may be able to get back into Windows.