Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How much should a DOS partition be?  (Read 2157 times)

php111

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    How much should a DOS partition be?
    « on: May 29, 2008, 03:02:48 PM »
    Hi,

How much Megs should a DOS partition should be or what does everyone has?

llmeyer1000

Intermediate

Re: How much should a DOS partition be?
      « Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 03:56:48 PM »
      Keep it small if all you are doing is learning, maybe 5 % -10 % of you HD. 20 MB used to be considered a large HD. If you made it the smallest available partition size it would probably be way more than that.

You won't be able to repartition without losing data, unless you have Partition Magic or something similar. The Windows/DOS Fdisk method will destroy all your current data. Be careful!

php111

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 04:03:35 PM »
        Keep it small if all you are doing is learning, maybe 5 % -10 % of you HD. 20 MB used to be considered a large HD. If you made it the smallest available partition size it would probably be way more than that.

You won't be able to repartition without losing data, unless you have Partition Magic or something similar. The Windows/DOS Fdisk method will destroy all your current data. Be careful!

The part of it is, when it comes to basic DOS commands. I don't know crap. When it comes to format C: /s. I understand. When it comes to Killdisk, I understand. How much Megs is 5%? Such as is it 2000 or 3000 or etc?

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 12:45:43 AM »
        How much Megs is 5%? Such as is it 2000 or 3000 or etc?

It is 5% of your disk size. Or 1/20 of your disk size. (Whatever that is.)

You know your disk size.

We don't know your disk size.

llmeyer1000

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 12:58:16 AM »
          How much Megs is 5%? Such as is it 2000 or 3000 or etc?

How large is the HD you are using?
          If it is say 40 GB, then 5% is 2GB. (40 x .05 = 2)

In an earlier post you mentioned that you were trying to learn DOS 6.22.

I have a dual boot setup with XP Pro and MS-DOS v6.22. How can I learn some or all things about DOS such as my commands and so on?

2 GB is huge in DOS 6.22 world. And now that I remember, 2GB is also the maximum size allowable for a FAT(16) partition for DOS.

What partitioning software are you going to use?

Look on the site BC_Programmer told you about in an earlier post.

www.vetusware.com

Utilities section:
          Partition Magic 4

It's an older version, but may still be adequate for you. (Maybe not, depending the HD size and type of partitions already installed.)