Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows vista  (Read 3074 times)

rhemaze

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

windows vista
    « on: June 01, 2008, 01:56:00 AM »
    hi,I'm recently working here in japan.I'm planing to buy a brand new laptop
    with windows vista japan os.My question is how to convert this japanese os in to english?bec i cant find here computer with english os,and I'm not familiar with vista.

thanks in advance,

stevejohnson1958

Re: windows vista
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 07:28:38 AM »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:29:25 AM »
    I don't believe the Japanese version will convert to English or vice versa...
    You may need to purchase both.
    Contact MS to see if there are any package deals for this....
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 09:15:21 AM »
    I don't know about the Japanese version, but the Thai version is as Patio described... it can't be converted to an English version. People here who want the English version of Windows have to buy it or purchase a system that includes the English version.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 09:20:39 AM »
    Microsoftet's Language Packs don't work on foreign versions of the OS?

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 09:29:40 AM »
    Yes, but not all programs will work on other OSes. Microsoft Applocale allows you to run software designed for other language versions of the OS (for example, running a Japanese or Thai program on an English version of Windows). Some programs aren't made to work with language packs, and therefore can't display their characters properly on an English OS. Instead, you get a series of boxes or question marks.

There have actually been a lot of cross-compatibility improvements since early versions of Windows. The 9x line (95, 98, Me) had very little support for cross-compatibility and would almost never run other language programs properly. For XP and the NT line, AppLocale is a temporary solution, but they suggest if you really need to run things in other languages all the time to get a version of Windows designed for that language.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 09:31:34 AM »
    Just goes to prove...you're never too old...

I learn something new...every day.  Thanks for that!

mcxeb52!

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 05:50:24 PM »
    hi,I'm recently working here in japan.I'm planing to buy a brand new laptop
    with windows vista japan os.My question is how to convert this japanese os in to english?bec i cant find here computer with english os,and I'm not familiar with vista.

thanks in advance,

if you are not familiar with vista, are you familiar with XP? Use XP instead of Vista if you are more comfortable with XP and are not wanting to go into the depth of a new operating system not to say the new operating system is all that bad...