Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer freezing  (Read 6150 times)

venkat

computer freezing
« on: March 14, 2004, 06:30:14 AM »
my computer freezes and win 98 does not load when i start the machine.the background is i recently disconnected the backside connections (keyboard,mouse,monitor,power etc) to relocate the machine to another table and after reconnecting and starting i was greeted with a msg mouse not detected and safely attach serial port mouse or shut down if ps/2 mouse port.i have a ps/2 port but the comp froze and i had to power off.the mouse cables port etc was completely checked and rconnected but still after starting the usual post test is done pci device list is done and win logo appears but after that it freezes.it is not responding to relevent key shortcuts to bios,boot sequence and i am unable to enter bios.worse still i tried booting from floppy and after  all routine processes the last msg says all diagnostic tools loaded to diskette drive and starting up but it freezes after that.it also asks to type help and press enter but is not responding to key stroke at all.my mobo is via/amd 667 mhz and HDD  is quantum fireball from lucent.i even tried to start after diconnecting sound card,modem etc but still same msg. if i press f5 it goes into safe mode but only my wall paper and win mouse support msg board saying same thing no mouse detected etc and machine freezes. sorry for such a long query but will be grateful for any assistance

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: computer freezing
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 01:29:19 PM »
Venkat,

Many of the suggestions we would have recommended you have already tried and if the computer is unable to enter BIOS but able to enter safe mode it appears that you keyboard is working but that there may be another hardware related issue.

To help determine the issue we recommend you try stripping the computer down the barest essentials. First, disconnect everything the back of the computer except the monitor, keyboard, and power cable. Boot the computer and see if by disconnecting these cables the computer is able to enter BIOS and/or is working. If the computer works its likely one of the other devices connected to the back of the computer may have issues. If this does not work we would recommend try disconnecting your sound card and modem again and leave these out of the computer. Again if this works it’s likely that it is one of the cards causing your issues. Unfortunately if this also does not resolve your issue it’s a good possibility that your motherboard may be bad, being unable to enter the BIOS or having the computer freeze in BIOS is definitely a sign of a defective motherboard.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

venkat

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 07:16:15 PM »
thanks a milion,will try ur suggestions and get back.have a nice day-venkat

venkat viswanathan

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 10:56:53 PM »
hi there,i tried various things to at least get an error msg and finally succeded :P what i did was removed the battery and replaced it immediately about 2/3 secs.now on powering i am getting an error msg   cmos checksum error-defaults loaded ???the computer freezes after that.now what am i supposed to do :'( thanks in advance if u can help-venkat

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 11:57:32 AM »
The error "checksum error defaults loaded" is the computer indicating that the settings that were stored in your battery were reset. Commonly to fix this you will need to enter CMOS setup (usually pressing F1 or F2 to enter setup) and reset the values. More specifically make sure the date and time are set properly. Once you have setup the settings make sure you save the settings and then exit CMOS. This should get rid of the error.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Jw

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 03:04:37 PM »
If you havn't already, try another keyboard.  Just a thought.

venkat viswanathan

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 09:25:16 PM »
hi there, thanks for all your help.problem solved.how?
just to let you know what sort of dumbhead i am-i had
interchanged the mouse and key board connections! :-X
how i found out? while looking at the mobo manual to see if anything could be wrong with the mobo!so all well now have a nice day-venkat