Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Server Warnings  (Read 5326 times)

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Server Warnings
« on: June 26, 2008, 01:07:40 AM »
Hello.

I was wondering:
If a server module on my Linux server goes down (eg: Apache2, PHP, FTP) can I make it send some sort of alarm to my speakers?

I dont have any sort of GUI Desktop environment installed... its all command line, which, makes me wonder the questionable support of a sound card.

I do have a way of making it execute on fails, so, even a program that can play sound in the CLI environment would be fine.

Thanks

devlin

Rookie

• Love your PC again....Install Linux
    Re: Server Warnings
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 09:16:50 AM »
    As long as your sound card is supported under linux I don't see why you couldn't get the system to alert you when a server fails. I don't know what app. or script you'd use but it's totally possible. Actually you could more than likely just add to the script that writes to the log file that when it writes ***** to the log file also play ***.wav .mid .mp3 (or whatever format you'll use).

You need to remember audio cards were around before the GUI.... Think DOS, CP/M, Unix, etc....

GUI's are just beautification... not a required must for hardware interaction.   :)
    Man plans, God laughs...

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert