Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NVRAM Problem  (Read 2759 times)

N4646W

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

NVRAM Problem
    « on: July 05, 2008, 12:23:07 AM »
    I was running a Soyo 880 MB with an Athalon XP 3200, 3 gig of DDR 400, and a 720 W PSU.  I started getting an "Checking NVRAM" on boot up, and having to reset the Bios.  I've replaced the battery twice since this started, (all the batteries were good) and keep getting the "Checking NVRAM" on boot.  Since the batteries did not solve the problem, I switched out the MB with an new spare 880 MB and still got the same problem.  I've also changed out all the cables, HD's, processor and vid card.  Still the same problem.  The only thing left to change is the PSU and the case.  Is it possible that on shut down that the PSU can short out or drain the battery?  I'm at a loss, could use some help.

Dias de verano

Re: NVRAM Problem
    « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 01:18:16 AM »
    Discounting the things you've already checked, it could definitely be the PSU. It could also be the RAM (which you didn't mention.)

N4646W

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 01:39:47 AM »
      Yes, I did change out the memory, also tried different configs, 1 gig,2gig, 512.  The PSU is only about 2 months old, but then again I had them go bad right out of the box.  It is a Thermotake 720 W.   Will have to pull a PSU out of another unit to see if the problem persist. 

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 01:48:53 AM »
      You sound like the kind of person who should be answering questions on here as well as asking them. Maybe you should stick around, if you have the time.

N4646W

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 02:30:03 AM »
        Hi Dias,

Forgotten my Spanish, spring or summer?

Thanks for the thought.  Mostly self taught from trying to keep 14 units running. 

I'll post tomorrow after I get off work on what happens with the different PSU.  If it is the PSU, that will be a challange to figgure out.  First thing that comes to mind is that the unit is just too big for the PSU.

Dias de verano

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 02:43:08 AM »
        Forgotten my Spanish, spring or summer?

la primavera = spring
        el verano = summer
        el otoņo = autumn
        el invierno = winter

I am British, learning Spanish, and my screen name is the title of a song by a Spanish rock group called Amaral which I like a lot.

First thing that comes to mind is that the unit is just too big for the PSU.

Could be excessive current demand dragging a rail down out of spec, I suppose, (in which case removing loads might cause an alteration) or maybe you just have a bad unit. I have read mention of  "noisy" DC causing the problem you describe, which makes me think that a combination of a marginal PSU and a mobo design with poorly arranged decoupling could be susceptible, but that's just idle speculation.

I just realised something... I have heard of Thermaltake PSUs which generally have a good reputation for design and reliability, so I wondered if your spelling of "Thermotake" was a typo, or if you have some kind of knockoff brand (ie a fake)?

N4646W

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 09:36:15 PM »
          Well it was the power supply, and it is a thermaltake.  Have been using them for a couple of years as they RMA with no problems, and turn around time is usualy 3 days.  So far of all the units we have gotten from them we have only had to RMA two of the older 680W units which they say did have a problem when they approached the max wattage, which they were.

I did disconect everything but the boot HD array, and used an older vid card which required no power connector.  I stripped the board down to the CPU and heat sink, 1 stick of mem, vid card, serial mouse, keyboard, and boot drive and it still had the NVRAM problem.  When I swaped the PSU the problem was eliminated.  Added some of the other drives and it was still fine.  This PSU is only 650W max and too small to boot the whole system.  I may ask them to upgrade and go for the 1100W unit.  Just have to figgure out how to get it into the case, or mount it externally.

Catch you later