Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: auto exec.bat and win 98 question this one is hard  (Read 6289 times)

Johnny 5

auto exec.bat and win 98 question this one is hard
« on: February 20, 2005, 01:57:51 PM »
this is what i see in dos (im using win98se)
when i boot.I just installed IIS\SQLserver2k and m$ transaction server
and symantec/sun java cafe compiler,
only i did not reboot after the compiler install, and i went ahead and installed IIS right after it when i reboot i get this error.

@PATH C:\RESKIT;%PATH%
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVDX.EXE /startup
SET BLASTER=A220 I2 D3 T4
LH C:\WINDOWS\AU30DOS.COM
Set tvdumpflags=10
PATH=%PATH%;"C:\Program Files\Mts"
set path=c:\win\program files\sunJava\bin\Un_Leash\c:\program files mts
homedrive=c:
C:
C:
C:
C:

too many parameters

(i forgot to reboot after compiler install) so i uninstall compiler, and i still have this in my autoexec file regarding  the dam java thing. so i opened up in notepad, and changed it to say,

Set tvdumpflags=10

then i reeboot, and it now says :

Set tvdumpflags=10
C:
C:
C:
C:

there are still these 4 c: references, when viewed in dos, but  not in note pad.
I assume that this too many parameters thing has to do with  the 60 chars long filename thang right?

Johnny 5

Re: auto exec.bat and win 98 question this one is
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 02:05:30 PM »
btw, no i do not have a backup :( as i am very stupidly forgot)
and reformatting is out of the question, as i have like 3 grand worth of software on my HD thats irreplacable.
PS, sorry for my bad english

2k dummy

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 07:00:11 AM »
This line
set path=c:\win\program files\sunJava\bin\Un_Leash\c:\program files mts

is the cause of the "to many parameters" error. It can be edited to make it compliant with DOS naming conventions.

The multiple C: prompts are likely caused by series of carriage returns at the end of the file. Eliminate the extra returns.

johnny5

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 11:44:55 AM »
Thank you for  your helping me.
   yes that is the ofending line except i see that it refers to the java compiler (sun java unleashed) as well as microsoft transaction server,(the MTS part) and they are both in the same line.Is this because i failed to do a reboot after i installed the compiler,before installing the IIS server? (In fact, ive already uninstalled the compiler,and all reference to it in registry that i cabn find anyways,yet it still remains in my auto exec.bat. the 4 c: prompts at the end are remnants i believe to be from the 4 lines i removed from there ( I used notepad).
   should i be not using the notepad to editing of the files? or should i use a hex editor like ultra edit32 like someone else has told me about? because like i am said before, when after i open/edit the autoexec in notepad, it looks fine,without the offending errors, but when viewed in a command box, it is giving the errors still.Is this the cause of me using a wrong program for the edit of the autoexec file?
   (this is my first time i am trying to play with the autoexec)
how can i get it to look the same in dos, as it does when i open it in notepad?

johnny5

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 10:22:01 AM »
Never mind, I find way of fixing,is called, "Format C:"
such a wonderfull little command, dont you all think? maybe they should change name of command to, "your *censored*, your either too stupid to fix your problem, or we are too greedy to make an OS that works, because then, you wouldnt need to keep upgrading every time we make a new one, C:

PS thank you to those who try to help.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 04:54:04 PM »
Learn>http://www.robvanderwoude.com/index.html  or scanreg restore at the dos promt c:\
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 04:55:51 PM by merlin_2 »