Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Attaching a PDF to my website  (Read 13513 times)

ttthomas

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Attaching a PDF to my website
    « on: July 13, 2008, 08:57:32 AM »
    Hello,

I have recently created a website starting with no knowledge of websites at all. I have put in text and pictures using HTML ok and put in other text and pictures using limited templates provided but I can't find any information on how to attach  PDF so when the picture of the PDF is clicked on it opens up( or any other way). Can any one help please? :)

stevejohnson1958

Re: Attaching a PDF to my website
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 11:39:07 AM »
    PDF stands for Portable Document Format, a file format developed by the Adobe Corporation for creating documents with images and complex formatting. Its capabilities go well beyond those of HTML and it has become a de facto standard in many areas of document preparation and design. There are several reasons why you might want to display PDF files on your Website:

• You already have a PDF file and do not want to convert it to HTML.
    • You need to use formatting that is more complex than HTML can handle.
    • You want the user to be able to download and distribute and/or print the file.
    • You want to discourage copying of your text and images.

Creating a PDF file requires special software such as Adobe Acrobat or one of several third party programs. The process usually involves creating the document in a word processor such as Microsoft Word and then using the PDF software to convert the document to a PDF file. Create a PDF file

Displaying PDF files is a much easier matter. All it takes is Adobe Reader software, available free from Adobe. When installed on a user's computer this software lets them view, print, and save, but not create or edit, PDF files. If you place a link to a PDF file on a Web page all the user has to do is click it and the file will be opened, using Acrobat Reader, in the browser.

If, however, the user does not have Adobe Reader, then clicking a link to a PDF file will only let them download the PDF file--not too useful! You should also offer them a link to download and install the Reader if they need to. The current link for this download is http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html. You can also get a cute graphic button for the download from the Adobe Website.

ttthomas

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 12:17:10 PM »
      Thanks for your help,  some useful considerations here.
      I'm still not sure how to create the link to the PDF. When I link to a picture I use a hosted picture and when I link from a picture to a web page I use the page address.
      So If I want to link from a picture to a PDF do I need to find somewhere that will 'host' the PDF (I have just seen free site which I think does this)? :-\

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 10:20:47 PM »
      More info about how you create your web pages would be helpful.  Are you using software installed on your computer to do this?  What software?  Or, are you doing creating your web pages through some web browser interface with a web hosting service?

Do you know how to upload files from your computer to your web server?

The HTML code would be in this format: name of document

ttthomas

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 11:44:07 AM »

Hello there,

Thank you for your response. I have web hosting with Easyspace and use their template package called Easysite Live wich I have downloaded . I can use this to add pictures and text or I have the option of putting in HTML. When finished I just press a publish site button to upload to my website.

The PDF that I would like to attach to the site is on my computer desktop (and in My Documents). If I use the HTML code you have kindly provided, inserting my webpage where it says 'my site' and the name of the PDF this doesn't work, it creates a link to Easyspace domain name search for that name, so it seems that I have missed something!
        The PDF hosting site I saw was freepdfhosting.com. Excuse my like of knowledge in this area but is this required or am I on the totaly wrong track!  ???.

Thank you

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 12:42:58 PM »
        I visited http://www.easyspace.com/ and saw no mention of Easysite Live and I don't know how Easysite Live works.  But, I gather it's a program you install on your computer and then use to design your web pages and it provides templates you can use. 

Inserting pictures on your pages and then "publishing" those pages with Easysite Live is one thing.  Uploading a PDF file to the web server so that your llink to a PDF file works is another thing, and my guess is that it either can not be done with Easysite Live or, if it can, you just don't know how.  Have you used their Control Panel?  If not, I suggest you get familiar with it.  It will probably have a File Manager feature which will allow you to upload files from your hard drive to the web server.

ttthomas

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 12:53:50 PM »
          Ahh! I understand better now.

I have used the control panel but not come accross this feature. I will have a look again and if I can't find anything I will enquire with Easyspace. I thought it was the same sort of of proceedure as putting on text or photos.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

ttthomas

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 11:39:48 AM »

Thank you ;)

Easyspace uploaded the PDF files for me and I have created links to them on my web site!