Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Modems  (Read 3413 times)

J. Obie

Modems
« on: February 23, 2005, 03:45:44 PM »
We are trying to install an external modem because the internal one got a dial tone but only made weird noises when trying to dial. After installing the external modem and trying to connect to internet it still made the weird dial noises so i figured the comp was still recognizing the old modem. Went into phones and modems in control panel and deleted the old one now it says there is no modem. The new one is listed there. How do I get the comp to recognize it?Should I reinstall it? Its connected via usb. Thanks

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Modems
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 03:49:12 PM »
Which operating system are you using? Also, which router is this? How does it connect to your computer? Also, what kind of "noises" are you hearing?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

j obie

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 05:41:28 PM »
its windows 2000 os its not a router it is a modem (external) connected by the usb port. i cant describe the noises they are like squaky noises. there is a dial tone then these noises.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 06:00:23 PM »
its windows 2000 os its not a router it is a modem (external) connected by the usb port. i cant describe the noises they are like squaky noises. there is a dial tone then these noises.

That's all normal.  The "squaky noises" is your modem communicating with the modem that you dialed-up.  Both modems seem to have been working.

J. Obie

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 06:19:09 PM »
 No because it doesnt dial and connect. It just sits there then says it couldnt connect. with any of the #s dialed

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 06:29:43 PM »
Who is your ISP?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 06:44:43 PM »
No because it doesnt dial and connect. It just sits there then says it couldnt connect. with any of the #s dialed

Nope.  You've got it wrong.  The hardware is working.  If it didn't dial, you wouldn't get the modem noise.  Not connecting could mean the modem on the other end cannot connect with the ISP's servers (computers).

That's why Flame wants to know your ISP.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 06:45:55 PM »
Exactly!  ;)   Now then... J. Obie.... Who IS your ISP?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

J. Obie

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 07:07:56 PM »
Its net zero. I have uninstalled the old internal modem and have a new external 56k modem connected to comp via usb cable. Now it says there is no dial tone. should I reintall the software for the new modem? Or are there othre things to tweek it?