Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive only clicks  (Read 6900 times)

edoeler

Hard Drive only clicks
« on: March 18, 2004, 03:12:37 PM »
My computer is about 5 years old , recently the thing locked up in the middle of email , shut it down and it never came back .   Hard drive goes through a series of clicks pressumably the read arm moving, then shuts off .  When installed as the primary drive ,message comes up ,  no drive found .  cant get it to run as a slave drive either .... [glb] HELP[/glb]

jw

Re: Hard Drive only clicks
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 04:07:12 PM »
Yep, sounds like the hard drive is finished.  Thats the way mine sounded when it died.  Sorry.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 03:35:34 PM »
We agree with Jw on this... unfortunately it is a definite sign of a hard disk drive failure when the hard disk drive makes a clicking noise or any abnormal noise and is not detected. You are also correct edoeler that it is likely the read/write head attempting to move that is causing this noise.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

edoeler

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 08:06:48 PM »
I found an identical HD going to attempt changing the Board and anything else I can !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 08:27:18 PM »
If by changing board you mean changing the hard disk drives interface board, I don't believe that is going to resolve your issue. This clicking noise is almost definitely caused by something such as the read/write head within the hard disk drive and something that will not be fixed by replacing the interface board.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 08:28:18 PM by admin »
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein