Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDD Problem  (Read 1854 times)

neversleep

HDD Problem
« on: August 10, 2008, 03:39:29 PM »
Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post.

i have a HDD (samsung SP0802N) 80GB IDE.
now this thing worked perfectly as always, but the problems started when i got a new computer and i thought I'd put that hard disk in it as well. after i transferred the HDD into the new computer it showed only 31GB available.
so what happend to the other 50GB?  i tried Partition Magic but it saw only 1 partition of 31GB in size.
now i have been doing re installations of windows/Linux and also formatting allot of times.

So then i thought. lets try Kill disk, but even KillDisk shows it just 1 partition of 31GB..  after i completely let it kill the disk and reinstalled it, it shows still as 31GB in size.. Where the heck has that 50GB gone to? i tried everything and i seem to run into a dead end.
i searched the web and looked at many topics and information websites but none give the answer to what i need.

Hope i will find one here. ;D

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: HDD Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 04:36:43 PM »
This won't help you directly but - out of interest - a problem I had with not getting assigned drive letters with drives in external case and USB connected, also included a drive not showing up right ... in one place it was showing as one of its partitions and another it appeared as the whole drive size!  This was apart from not having letters assigned.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=60714

It was suggested that because I had set the drives up with Partition magic originally - perhaps this had some bearing on the problem.  I have yet to establish whether this is the case or not.  In your case tho it is surprising if the disk had been cleaned.

Sorry no answer as such - just mentioning something along slightly similar lines.
Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!