Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: OS corrupt?  (Read 3936 times)

kop442000

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    OS corrupt?
    « on: March 03, 2005, 04:42:36 PM »
    Hi guys,

My old PC one day started sounding like it was powering, but remained black. Deffo wasn't monitor, and sometimes, the screen would activate, but not for long. Maybe because I had to power down lots of times, think I screwed something up cos there were some error messages when the screen rarely did activate.
    It doesn't come on at all now, but I have accepted there must be a faulty component in my PC.

Anyways.. since then, I am using a new PC, and have my old hard drive a slave, which works great, and I have been able to access all my old files.
    However...when I try to run my old drive as the master (or the lone drive), it gives me the option to run in safe or start windows normally etc, but then whatever I choose, it really quickly flashes up an error message, and then reboots itself.
    All I can manage to snatch of the message is something like "A problem has been detected...windows...has been shut down...."

I don't know much but I am just guessing that windows has been corrupted? Does that mean I have to re-install it? (Windows XP). I do have the boot disks, but does it mean I would lose all the files I have on there?

Please correct me if I am totally wrong on this!!

As a side issue, am I able to retreive emails from Outlook Express on the old drive even when I am using it as a slave?

Many thanks for any replies posted,
    Kop442000.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: OS corrupt?
      « Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 04:52:51 PM »
      kop442000.......If you are successfully using the old HD as a slave on your new machine .........Why are you wanting to run it as the master ( on the same machine ) ?

What am I missing here ?
      Or are you wanting to fix the problem and then put the old hard drive back into the old pc ......If thats what you are wanting to do then ....put it back in the old pc and use the repair console.
      let us know

dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 04:59:37 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

kop442000

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 05:18:10 PM »
        Well I am only borrowing this new machine, so I guess, I just want to run it as the master to make 100% sure that I can know in my mind it is fine, and concentrate on fixing whatever is wrong with my old PC.

Also I want to retrieve some old emails in Outlook Express, and not sure how to do it when the hard drive is the slave...

Thanks.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 07:35:07 PM »
           kop442000....Have you tried connecting your old Hard drive in the new pc and check to see if it boots up ok .
          I mean with it set as master and the other Hard drive temporarily disconnected .......then you are 100 % sure the old hard drive is ok ........

let us know

dl65  ::)
          If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.