Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Old software  (Read 3296 times)

Beau

Old software
« on: March 05, 2005, 12:14:38 AM »
I need help. I bought a game a while back. It's a flight sim called Tornado(circa 1993). I(my friend) finally figured out how to run it on my box using an emulator called DOS box 6.0. I recently purchased another game from 93 called "Termintor 2029" and I can't even read the first disk to install. I also bought "DOOM II" and can't play it. What is going on???? I own a Dell dimensia 8100 w/a P4 and 384 RAM and that's about all I know. Can any one help me?

gussery

Re: Old software
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 06:11:55 AM »
If you are really wanting to play circa 1993 games, your best bet would be to use a circa 1993 computer.  

Emulation software can be good but it is not perfect and it may have been written more towards emulating for production software not games.

I think you will find that a lot of those games want to directly interact with the processor and memory and don't like what they are seeing.  They may also be submitting requests to the CPU and receiving the information back much faster than they can process it.

I saw a lot of programs have that problem when the first (yes I said first) pentium chips came out.  The chip would overrun the program.

Gary

Computer_Commando

Re: Old software
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 02:34:09 PM »
DOSBox is made specifically for games:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

It should most all DOS games.  DOOM II is not a DOS game, it's a Windows game.