Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Programmers  (Read 9050 times)

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• It's not hard to tell where MY head is at
    Programmers
    « on: August 19, 2008, 06:21:55 AM »
    Why did you chose to become a programmer?
    The best sayings that sum me up in a nut shell depends on the obvious which more often than not is obscured by the talk of the day which sounds a lot like  gnat-thing.

qinghao

Intermediate
    • Don't think your self special
      Re: Programmers
      « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:36:18 AM »
      The computer is the newest technology.The software is the soul if computer.
      Programing could make software,so I choose to be a programmer.In that case I can upgrade myself to adept the new technology.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 04:21:58 PM »
        I played a lot of cool games in the past and wanted to create games and also to write programs that help my dad with his finaces at work(he's a finacial analyst)
        If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

lordvader781

Intermediate
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 08:37:24 PM »
          I'm not really sure why I chose to become a programmer.  I new from about 14, maybe 15, that I wanted to do something with computers.  I guess it had to do with the fact that I played a considerable amount of video games.  I never even touched programming until 11th grade when I took a class in Java.  I did, however, take a HTML/Javascript class the previous year.  Though most don't really consider HTML/Javascript to be programming anyways, but still.  In twelfth grade I took a Visual Basic 6.0 class and had a lot of fun with it.  I think it was then that I realized that programming was something I could do for a living.  After I graduated from high school I enrolled at Pittsburgh Technical Institute to earn an Associates degree in computer programming.  It was at PTI when I first learned C++.  Right now I'm currently on an internship for PTI at NIOSH, a division of CDC converting an illumination analysis program from C++ to C#.  In October I will graduate from PTI.  It will have been about four years from when I first started programming to where I'll have a degree in it.  Not a very long time if you ask me.  Well that's enough rambling from me.

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 07:20:12 AM »
            Can the limits of what can be created be defined?

Is there a point where programing allows AI to become reality?

Is AI definable? If so what is it?
            The best sayings that sum me up in a nut shell depends on the obvious which more often than not is obscured by the talk of the day which sounds a lot like  gnat-thing.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 07:22:21 AM »
            What's with all these questions?

What do you mean here?

Also, my ICT Teacher was talking about AI's before school let out and he said that it will start to become a possibility when our processor speeds start reaching as high as 10GHz.

qinghao

Intermediate
            • Don't think your self special
              « Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 07:31:46 AM »
              10GHz :o

fireballs

Apprentice

• Code:Terminal
                « Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 10:31:41 AM »
                I'd like to say i'm not a programmer i'm a Mechanical Engineering student i just do this as a hobby. But the main reason I do it is to pwn n00bz.. lol  8)

FB
                Next time google it.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 11:16:36 AM »
                  if you think about it. our minds are have thousands of proccessors in them, thats how we can multitask, "the rub your belly and pat your head" thing. and that explains how some people have photographic memory and also how we can recgonizes faces and voices.
                  If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                  • Experience: Guru
                  « Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 08:57:51 PM »
                  Everyone has photographic memory....Some people just don't have film....

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
                  • Experience: Beginner
                  « Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 04:17:25 AM »
                  How did I start programming ??? 

My boss said to me one day "You're good with maths, I want you to...." and that was the start.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Bones92

Hopeful

• Website Designer and Microcontroller Programmer
                    • PIC Programming New Zealand
                  • Experience: Experienced
                  « Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 04:39:27 AM »
                  Heh, i started programming when I walked past my brothers DOS computer one day and it printed "Something just walked past my sensors!" on the screen (he'd just built a robotic "head" for it, was really cool)

I was so amazed and taken by it that immediately learned how he'd done the software side of the app then started developing my own stuff.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                  • Experience: Expert
                  « Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 04:40:54 AM »
                  Heh, i started programming when I walked past my brothers DOS computer one day and it printed "Something just walked past my sensors!" on the screen (he'd just built a robotic "head" for it, was really cool)

I want one! That sounds cool.... ;D

Kryptonite

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 07:59:19 AM »
                    What's with all these questions?

What do you mean here?

Also, my ICT Teacher was talking about AI's before school let out and he said that it will start to become a possibility when our processor speeds start reaching as high as 10GHz.

Don't think i've ever heard or read anything about the reason people got into THAT field. It was the mid sixties when i was introduced to computer programming working at Bell Labs. The labs was working on a digital communication program that could run a whole building where the hardware was housed for phone service. The evolution of telephone communication is interesting...before 1965 human beings ran and maintained all of the equipment that provided phone service to an area. To call outside of "the area" you at times needed the assistance of an operator. The new system that we were working on shrunk the size of the building and reduced the cost of operation by building and developing a system called ESS. The "programmers" of that system seemed so spaced out that it was impossible to have a conversation with any of them...they thought about nothing else except this challenge.

My job was to take the program that they wrote which was stored on huge reels of tape and transfer the info to aluminum "cards" with X number of tiny "magnets" on them. There were 64 cards facing left and 64 cards facing right and they were hand loaded into this device that pushed the cards into a a particular location in a mainframe bey. Once the program was transfer ed i was given another location to "load" the cards. Once the cards were loaded another set of programmers/ analysts would stand around this giant "tea cart" with thousands of lights each associated with an on off toggle, these analysts would flip switches and wait for print outs with mostly zero's and ones along with a few other symbols, and they would "read" the information.
                    The analysts would talk to me and "explain" questions that i had about all those numbers. They would
                    give me answers that i still didn't understand. One of the analysts tried to talk me into learning the language but it seemed far too obscure for me.
                    In a way it's still too obscure for me to learn but i wonder if it's not possible to hire someone to write a program for me and how would i know what a fair price would be. It's not like buying a new computer or microwave; with those you kinda know what a fair price is by doing a google search.
                    Not sure i answered your question but that's where and when my curiosty started.

fireballs

Apprentice

• Code:Terminal
                      « Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 09:12:27 AM »
                      Holy moly, you used to work for Bell Labs???

I'm only twenty but between me and my peers bell labs is practically some sort of holy grail... Such greats as the freakin transistor were invented at bell labs!! The C programming language was invented ther!!!

FB
                      Next time google it.