Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Self Built Computer Club  (Read 161857 times)

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Self Built Computer Club
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 01:56:46 AM »
Nice setup added to club. :)
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

Dead_reckon

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2008, 08:40:48 AM »
I'm thinking of throwing together a media center in the near future. Cheap DVR box that is built from the Pentium D 805, 1GB DDR2 667, 320GB hard drive, and the ATX mid tower that will be left over when I upgrade my desktop. All I'd need is a budget board, budget GPU, put a lil money into a decent tuner card, some fans and a heatsink for the CPU, and a PSU.

I'd build it to record the few shows I actually like to watch, like Mythbusters.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2008, 07:00:14 PM »
I have two self-built computers -- actually, three in the house right now.  Two are in use.  One is an Intel chip on an Intel board, the second is an AMD chip on an ASUS board, and the third is an Intel chip on an ASUS board.  My case is brushed aluminum, the second case is red, with see-through plastic cutouts, and the third is the standard "ivory" mid-tower case.

I have built about ten computers over the years.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2008, 06:22:58 AM »
Welcome to the club Aegis. :)
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2008, 04:36:55 PM »
here's my most recent

Specs:
MB: Intel DG065WH
CPU: Core2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz
RAM: 4x kingston 2gb 667mhz ddr2
Video: 2x ATI FireMV 2400
Monitors: 6x NEC MultiSync
HDD: RAID 0: 2x Seagate 250GB
OS: Wait for it....... wait for it....... Vista Business 64 bit (XP couldn't handle this setup;)
     (plus two virtuals with xp)

oh, and a pci fan cooler to keep everything below 190F (that was an afterthought) :P

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2008, 06:20:37 PM »
Extremely nice Michael ! !
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

computeruler

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 06:40:07 PM »
WOA michale why in the word do you need 6 moniters!!! what in the world do you do with that!!

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 01:03:19 AM »
So he doesn't have to mess with minimizing and maximizing windows all the time...

Ivy

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 01:10:17 AM »
I haven't bulid any computers but I have broken down many, does that count :-[

So I declare myself a member :)

Thanks for the applaud guys!!

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 09:30:14 AM »
    Looks like a good idea an smells that way too.  May be its the heat venting from the lab but any how.  I'll post mine as soon as I get details sorted an stuff.  The evil lurks on here about the stupid thing thoe an its still haveing problems.  Attacked me once too....  more on that latter.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

computeruler

Topic Starter

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #40 on: September 26, 2008, 01:45:21 PM »
    what!!?? your computer attacked you!!??

Dead_reckon

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2008, 09:42:04 PM »
    Come to think of it, both my brothers computers are custom built (I built them). Older bro's is a core 2 duo @ 2.4GHz w/ 4GB DDR2 800, nVidia 8500GT 512MB PCI-E x16 GPU, don't remember the motherboard model, I just remember its a 680i chipset on an MSI socket 775 board. 160GB Western Digital SATA300 hard drive, the two DVD burners are shot, they won't burn. They will read discs fine though, its in a black Apevia transformer ATX full tower case.

Both my brothers have the same power supply as I do in my desktop, the RP550 550W rosewill PSU. My younger bro has a P4 Prescott 3.0GHz socket 478 on an MSI VIA chipset based motherboard with an AGP x8 7300GT 512MB GPU, 1GB DDR 400. I don't remember the hard drive size, I think its a 250 or 160GB, though I'm unsure. I know its a seagate SATA150 hard drive. It also has a DVD burner, though I can't remember the speed. My younger bro's system is built in a blue thermal take xaser ATX full tower case. We got it for $40 from a local PC shop used.

My father built his system, he's 57  now, started learning computers about five years ago. He can't name all the parts and he ain't exactly what you'd call a technician, but he knows how to build them. He isn't a complete end user, which saves me a lot of headaches. His system is a 2.93GHz Celeron D w/ 1GB of DDR 400, a off brand PSU, 400 some odd watts (I thought the PSU was gonna blow up, but its braved about two years of use now.), a nVidia 5500 256MB AGP x8 GPU, a 80GB western digital hard drive, a DVD burner, though I can't remember the speed of it either, and its using my first custom system's motherboard, a socket 478 SiS based MSI motherboard. The onboard audio doesn't work, hasn't worked since before I gave it to him. So I gave him the crappy sound card I had, don't remember the brand, or model. My fathers system is in an Antec ATX mid tower case. The case is somewhat fickle to work on, you have to remove the top of the case to remove the side panels. Easier to clean that way though, you can get the dust bunnies around the optical drive and power supply easier. I have large hands like my father, so I need space to work on a PC, especially when cleaning it without tearing it all the way down.
    « Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 03:01:08 PM by Dead_Reckon »

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #42 on: September 26, 2008, 11:40:05 PM »
    he ain't exactly what you'd call a technician, but he knows how to build them and crap.

I rather suspect the latter skill was learned at a much younger age...    ::)

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2008, 06:27:48 AM »
      what!!?? your computer attacked you!!??

I had the case open an I was seeing if my board had an rj45 on it an I got my finger near the cpu fan an well you know what would happen at something going alot of rpm's so I had to get a new fan too.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #44 on: September 27, 2008, 07:15:27 AM »
      If you've assembled the computer correctly, the ethernet jack should be on the back of the system. Why would you be opening the case to look for an "RJ-45"? (technically the wrong name anyway)

Calling it an RJ-45 is like calling a headphone jack a microphone jack instead. While they do appear to be the same and have the same jack, they are in fact very different.

Why would you be poking around in the case with the system on or even plugged in anyway?  Lucky your fingers were the only thing that got damaged. :-\