Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to use mass storage device vis USB  (Read 8172 times)

300zx

Topic Starter

Starter

Unable to use mass storage device vis USB
    « on: September 10, 2008, 10:21:50 PM »
    A few weeks ago, I plugged my flash memory into the USB to back up some data as I had done every day. But, I got this message:  The heading is: Restriction Warning.
    Administrator has prohibited access to USB/1394 mass storage device.

If I continue and try to back up/restore I get this message:
    Windows Explorer
    G:\is not accessible. Access denied.

I have no idea where this came from and have been unable to circumvent it. Since then I have been unable to back up or restore any data.

The flash memory works perfectly fine in my lap top and other computers.

By the way, FYI--I am barely computer literate.
    Thanks for your help.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Unable to use mass storage device vis USB
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 01:18:12 AM »
    Welcome to the CH forums.

This seems to be a known Acer problem but it's very very difficult for us to do very much diagnostic work if you don't tell us what we're dealing with.  Please read this and/or this.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

300zx

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 06:00:08 AM »
      You are right. It is an Acer .
      I am running Windows XP Pro 5.1
      Version 2002
      Service Pack 3 (whatever this means)

It's an Acer Pentium R
      CPU 3.0ghz

This problem came up about 2 months ago, and I think it coincided with a brief power failure that occurred due to a storm.

I use CA virus,anti spyware, firewall protection as well Microsoft virus, spyware and firewall protection.

I also have the free versions of Spybot and Adaware. These free versions have been on my computer for years.

Some friends suggested I restore my system back to a date prior to this problem happening. I am not sure what this would entail and how it would effect my existing programs and data.

I have all of my business info backed up on the flash drive as I am using my laptop (Acer Aspire) for my business. Initially, I was using the desk top Acer for my work stuff, backing up onto the flash drive and restoring the info onto my lap top. Therefore my desk top and lap top had the identical info. If I was traveling I could continue to do my work on the lap top and I would then transfer that data to my desk top. This way they were both always indentical.

I hope this gives you enough info to give me some help.
      Thanks.

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 03:22:44 PM »
      Thanks for all that very clear info.  Your problem appears the be associated with Acer Lanscope.   Below is a reported cure:

A function called Acer Lanscope had an icon on the bottom line. This offers the information that USB storage devices, Cds, DVDs etc were all 'locked'. I could find no way of accessing this program to change the settings so uninstalled the function via Add or Remove programs option in Control Panel.

Here is a MS Technet forum discussion on the problem and altho' it refers specifically to Vista I think it will also apply to XP.  Please read all of the contris before deciding if you want to use the ACER Elock Utility.

Please post back with your results for future reference.

BTW Spybot and Adaware have been updated!!  If you System Restore to way-back-when you may be unable to run programs installed since then due to re-writing registry entries.

Good luck

300zx

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 10:22:52 PM »
        Thanks for the help. I removed Acer Lanscope, that did not work. I screwed around with the Acer E-Lock, that did not work. I restored the system to a date I thought all was working well--THAT WORKED !!! Yea..

Looks like for the time being I am back in business as far as using my USB ports. I'm just wondering when will it crap out again. It seems this is an Acer problem.

But, that useless Incredi-mail Icon is still showing up. I swear it's screwing up the booting up process. Any ideas on how to get rid of this Icon. I don't have the program installed--only this darn Icon keeps showingup.

Thanks again for the help.

Dusty

Egghead

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 11:58:23 PM »
        Looks like for the time being I am back in business as far as using my USB ports. I'm just wondering when will it crap out again. It seems this is an Acer problem.

Good news, and yes, it's an Acer problem but Acer has been less than helpful in continuing to fail to issue a fix for it.

Incredimail used to be a well supported program but fell into disuse when advertising became its main function, or so it seemed.  Getting rid of it has become a major trial.   One of these might help.  Here's Microsoft on the subject.

As an aside, I recommend using the Revo uninstaller instead of Add/Remove programs as Revo will search Folders and the Registry and present options to delete entries.

Good luck.