Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help in computer clean up  (Read 3583 times)

justice_payne

help in computer clean up
« on: March 18, 2004, 05:52:20 PM »
does anyone have any suggestions on how to make my computer faster in cleaning wise other then defrag,disk clean up,scandisk

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: help in computer clean up
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 06:41:23 PM »
Justice_payne,

In addition to running defrag, scandisk, etc. we have listed various other basic steps you can run to help the computers run faster and/or more efficiently.  We highly recommend you review the basic troubleshooting steps for your operating system on the below link.

http://www.computerhope.com/basic.htm

If anyone else has additional recommendations or tips definitely feel free to post them.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

d.champion

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 11:35:49 PM »
As a novice with one computer course, please advise how to make the virus scan, disk clean up etc. run on Windows XP.  I have gone threw all the steps in the Start/Acessories/System Tools/Scheule Tasks numerous times without success.  It worked with Windows Me but will not since installing Windows XP.  I have sent message for help to Microsoft and their web site can not be displayed!!  I am very frustrated.

MetalMilitia

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 09:50:17 AM »
Go into my computer then right click on the hard drive you wish to scan or defrag, then go to properties. You should then see a tools tab and in this are the tools.

Joleen

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 07:57:23 AM »
I recommend a good format every couple of months if you're into file sharing or testing new software.  I also have my main drive partitioned with about 25G reserved for installs saving the rest for images, music, general files.  That way my C: isn't constantly being disorganized.  Without the use of something like PartitionMagic, you'll have to format first so I recommend saving all your desired files.