Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Whats your source of transportation?  (Read 12025 times)

Dead_reckon

Whats your source of transportation?
« on: September 29, 2008, 11:47:50 AM »
I figured I'd start a thread so we can get an idea of what people's preferences are for transportation. If it be a bike, a car, or even a powerchair, list what you use to get around with.

Currently, I only have a bicycle. Though I am going to start working soon and install a 49CC motor onto the bicycle I have so I can save money to buy this:

Its my grandmothers 1993 Chevrolet Chevy Van G20. Half ton passenger van, seats seven, four speaker sound system, has a 305 small block carburated high performance engine cranking about 250HP w/ a three speed tranny that has overdrive. Most people call that a four speed tranny, but its not. I plan to install bullbars on the van and remove the rear power folding bench seat for more room in the rear. I'll need to get new tires for it and fix the drivers side window, its off track and I think the motor is burnt out. But I can get the electric window motor rebuilt locally for cheap.  As for the tires, I can get good used tires locally as well and get them mounted and balanced for $40. So I'll end up paying a little over $2600 counting the $2500 I'll be paying for it to get it on the road.

The one drawback of the van; It gets roughly twelve miles to the gallon. That's going to be painful, but I love large vehicles. I can't fit in small cars and I don't feel safe in a small unitized chassis. Most of my height is in my legs, and I have large feet. So limited leg room combined with the small automobiles small cramped pedals makes for a rather unpleasant driving experience. I'll probably get a truck later on and part out the van since I'm gonna pull its engine, tranny, and probably the rear differential and put it in whatever truck I get. Its just a truck motor that Chevy threw into a van. That engine wasn't computerized and didn't receive emissions until 1994, when they replaced it with a newer fuel injected 305, which was a modified version of the 305 used in things like the Chevy Impala's and Caprice's . So pulling theengine will be super easy, could even get a newer truck from up to 1993. Legally in Virginia, the engine in any vehicle must NOT be more than five years older than the vehicle if street legal unless said vehicle is an antique. An antique is legally classified as being more than twenty five years old, and not used to transport said owner to a place of work, or to be used as a work vehicle while tagged and titled as such. The laws are somewhat confusing here, but basically, I could get a 1988 truck that's a GMC or Chevy and drop that motor into it without hassle. If I get a truck newer than 1993, it'll have electronic gauges and it will be near impossible to install that 305 without rewiring the whole vehicle.

Anyway, feel free to post about your vehicle(s) or whatever other source of transportation you have. Be brief or as detailed as this, doesn't matter. I suspect not everyone knows detailed specifications about there vehicles and such like I do. I grew up in a house where getting another car usually meant rebuilding it or driving it till it dropped while one was being rebuilt. I know a bit about American and Canadian vehicles, Daimler Mopar, Delco, and AC Delco vehicles to be a bit more specific. I don't know much about any of the modern fuel injection systems, I learned on old carburated vehicles, I know a little about throttle body fuel injection vehicles because they operate very similar to a carburated vehicle.

So, have fun posting about whatever transportation you have. I may be of some help if you need to know something about a car I know about. I know various things about more automobile models than I could list, so ask if you want. I'll answer if I can.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Whats your source of transportation?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 12:22:54 PM »
I'm driving my mum's Ford Fiesta on a provisional license at the minute.  Will be driving it after I pass my full test too.
I also have a bike, but mainly use the bus for transport as I can't legally drive without supervision.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 04:14:20 AM »
Got a bike, currently broken. Waiting for a new one.

Main source of transportation = golf cart.
Other sources of transportation = bus + ferry.

Hey Dead_Reckon, I wonder how many Gallons to the Mile that van does. :P

Ivy

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 04:24:44 AM »
A car, which I can't drive myself!

also my dreams drive me to distant lands :)

Emiel

Intermediate

• Los Illuminados = a bunch of *ssholes!
    « Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 05:04:47 AM »
    A bike, use it everyday. :)

Emiel
    Date Registered:  November 28, 2007, 3:14:43 PM (07:14:43 AM in Utah)

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    « Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 06:04:36 AM »
    Car.

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 06:11:50 AM »
    *Yes! That narrows down my search!*  ::) :P

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 10:03:03 AM »
    Car.

<image>

LOL! Nice... But I'm not sure if you're being serious.... ??? ;D

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 10:08:03 AM »

For at least another month...weather permitting.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Ivy

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 10:22:59 AM »
    My car is better :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 11:27:29 AM »
    My car is better :)

I'd never drive one of those, they're in the same league as lemons.

As far as transport- I also use a bicycle- a nice fancy one, since i have to ride almost 45 minutes on it to get to work.. (hour and a half to walk, and also two hours on the bicycle when it decided to snow all night while I was at work >:(.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 12:03:45 PM »
    I found out a few minor things that need to be done to the van. For one, I've got to replace the high flow four barrel carburetor with a low flow to get it up to about 14-16mpg, then I got another trick that will be free that will bump it up to about 18MPG. Right now its got about 220HP, with these modifications I expect about 230-240HP.  I also have to replace the tires soon, there $400 for four. Then I've got the heater to deal with, it rarely gets cold enough to need it though. Gotta replace a REALLY long hose so the heater/AC will work again.

I'm looking at $2,500 for the van its self, $100-150 for the carburetor, $400 for the tires, $50-80 for the work to the heater system and hoses, plus $20 for tags. So I'm looking at about $3,150 before vehicle tax. Dunno what the tax will be. I'm getting a job as soon as I can get my grandma to give me the $150-160 to get the 49CC motor for my bicycle, its a huffy of some sort that i found beside a dumpster, replaced the front wheel, tube, and tire, going to do the same to the rear, going to replace the front shifter cable, and tune the brakes a little when I install the motor. Also gonna get a left mirror for it.

And I agree, the orange is in the same league as a lemon. The both smell good to clean wood with too. I hate cars with proprietary parts, they become a money pit quickly.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 12:40:39 PM »
    And I agree, the orange is in the same league as a lemon. The both smell good to clean wood with too. I hate cars with proprietary parts, they become a money pit quickly.
    Your telling me, I invested in Lemons on the stock market, well, let's just say that Oranges are "the" citrus to invest in these days. That and pork belly futures.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

!~*:.Pink Floyd.:*~!

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 02:49:28 PM »
    I'm driving my mum's Ford Fiesta on a provisional license at the minute.  Will be driving it after I pass my full test too.
    I also have a bike, but mainly use the bus for transport as I can't legally drive without supervision.

Woah Calum I didnt know you were 17.
    I thought you were like 24.

Here.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 06:56:24 PM by !~*:.Pink Floyd.:*~! »

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 03:59:21 PM »
    Bike, until it starts snowing, then bus. It's actually faster for me to walk to school than to take the bus because of insane traffic but I'm REALLY lazy.