Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: [Solved] Asus P5K Pro HD Audio device not detected at all.  (Read 9088 times)

LNBZero

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

[Solved] Asus P5K Pro HD Audio device not detected at all.
    « on: October 05, 2008, 08:22:12 AM »
    Hey,

I just got a new computer yesterday and I decided I wanted to install and set up the whole software party myself. (So all the store did was just put the hardware parts in the right place.) When starting up I installed Windows XP Pro SP3 and so far everything went fine. I did have some errors while starting up which is logical cause the motherboard (An ASUS P5K PRO) wasn't installed correctly. It came with a DVD with drivers and all which I started to run, so far so good.

The drivers it would install:

• Intel Chipset Inf Update Program (Installed correctly but...)
    • Realtek Audio Driver (Install failed)
    • Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet Driver (Installed correctly)
    • ASUS EPu Driver + AI Gear 3 Utility (Installed correctly)
    • USB 2.0 Driver (Didn't need to be installed)

It had an InstAll thingy which would simply install everything required which seemed like the best option. So then it started installing. The Intel Chipset Inf Update Program required a reboot after installing so the computer did so. While restarting I was forced to make an option between 3 RAID boots or something. 64 bit, 32 bit and something with DOS. But it FORCED me to save it on a floppy which I find weird cause which computer come with a floppy drive anymore nowadays? Mine sure didn't and my last computer neither and it's 4 years old now. Either way I couldn't skip it and each time it couldn't find a floppy in the floppy drive (Oblivious, there's no drive to begin with.) it would request a retry or restart. After a while I realized the screen wouldn't pop up if I took out the DVD (I guess it's bootable.) so I could get past it. Back in Windows it asked me to put back in the CD and the InstAll window popped back up and I made a sigh of relief it was showing that the Intel Chipset Inf Update Program was installed correctly.

While restarting I was still getting a message the CPU wasn't set up in the Bios correctly and it needed it so it could "unleash its full power!". I looked up online and it said I had to update my Bios so I got the newest version from Asus.com and managed to flash the Bios putting it on a DVD. After that the CPU was recognized and I guess it can now "unleash its full power!".

Now the Realtek Audio Driver is the main problem here, it wouldn't install and I found out Windows doesn't even state there's a device connected to the computer for the sound while it's integrated in my motherboard. I guess this is why the drivers fail to install cause the computer is probably wondering what kind of device the drivers are for in the first place. I opened the computer to see if maybe a wire wasn't connected right or something but since it's just a mere little block directly on the motherboard I figured that wasn't the case. I also found out in the Bios you can chose if you want to enable the device. Making me think the Bios recognizes it or maybe it's just a default option wich belongs to the Bios of this motherboard.

Anyway that's just pretty much my issue. Everything else I got to work perfectly fine. All I'm missing is the sound. Anyone has any idea?

Many thanks in advance,

LNBZero
    « Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 09:58:05 AM by LNBZero »
    LNBZero

LNBZero

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Update
      « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 02:51:20 PM »
      Well, today I've been trying some games and a few keep crashing. With 2 3D games (Ragnarok Online 2 and Dream of Mirror Online) I see some textures mess up and then a second later all the pixels on the screen get randomized sorta. It's kinda like sort off diagonal lines that go through the screen and all the pixels on those lines are randomly placed all over the screen.

Calum was thinking this was an error with my graphics card overheating but after running some tests it pretty much stayed around 50~55°C all the time which is alright. So in the end it might be a faulty motherboard so unless someone else has a suggestion or something else I should test/try out I'll call the store I got it from tomorrow and see what they think and if I can replace it.
      LNBZero

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Asus P5K Pro HD Audio device not detected at all.
      « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 06:47:54 PM »
      It may be the card...can you borrow another one to swap in there ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dslgeek

Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 11:53:08 PM »
        ASUS motherboards can be hard.  >:(
        You need to install the stuff the way they say, do not use other software to install the ASUS drivers and programs. Do it the way they say.Read the documentation very, very carefully.  :'(

LNBZero

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 03:21:51 AM »
          It may be the card...can you borrow another one to swap in there ? ?

Well I've just tried to call them but they're not open before 13:00 (1:00 PM) on Mondays so we'll see.....

ASUS motherboards can be hard.  >:(
          You need to install the stuff the way they say, do not use other software to install the ASUS drivers and programs. Do it the way they say.Read the documentation very, very carefully.  :'(

At first I did. Though documentation..... It had a detailed explanation how to insert all the parts into your computer though the store already did that. (It looked pretty good to me.) But drivers? There was absolutely no explanation on how to install the drivers in the whole 100+ page counting booklet. All it said was insert the DVD and follow the instructions there which like I said I did. So I don't think that's the problem.
          LNBZero

LNBZero

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 09:57:17 AM »
            ***UPDATE***

Well after calling the store they said HD Audio devices like this are indeed a pain sometimes. Though 1 simple thing fixed the whole thing: A missing Microsoft Windows XP update. Microsoft never added the update to the automatic updates and neither it shows up if you look for updates online.

So in case anyone else has the HD Audio Device not being found problem search for the KB835221.exe update.

So then, all is left are the graphic issues I'm having with several games (stated before). I'll make a new topic cause this might not be a motherboard issue. (Click here for the new topic.)

Many many thanks for all the help so far with my new computer trouble. I really appreciate it. ^_^

LNBZero
            « Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:07:40 AM by LNBZero »
            LNBZero

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
              • Yes
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Beginner
            Re: [Solved] Asus P5K Pro HD Audio device not detected at all.
            « Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 11:04:36 AM »
            Glad you got it sorted zero.