Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Faulty HDD???  (Read 5377 times)

xavier

Re: Faulty HDD???
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 06:46:50 AM »
O boy. A power supply would would B a good start.

xavier

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 07:06:13 AM »
It could b a HDD pblm also,   you have to start some ware

french253

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 02:16:54 PM »
    Since the HDD worked fine in my computer I have ordered a new 500w Antec power supply from Newegg.  We'll see where to go from there.  If nothing else, I can use the power supply to rule out parts in the future.
    Rob

xavier

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 05:08:15 PM »
    OK. Hope the new power supply is all that is necessary?Be carfull when dis. connecting & re installing

danstar10

Greenhorn

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 05:21:49 AM »
      Try a HDD diognostic utitity from your HDD manufacturers website to check the hard disk health?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 05:29:24 AM »
        No No No.... I think I have the answer since this happened to me alot, what happens is windows would have to reinstalled when this happened to me or disconnect an reconnect the cable's.  Tell me what drive is it maxtor,western???  How did you format set it up?  If its maxtor you cant use any old versions.  You need an have to use maxblast 5.  ;)  Which was my problem.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

french253

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 11:39:41 AM »
          Squall... thanks for your input.  The HD is a Western and is a bit old, but I think it is holding up.  I tried another working HD in that computer but I had the same those variables through other tests.  I really believe that the problem is the power supply or the MOBO.  If it is the HD, that's an easy fix as I already have all necessary info backed up.  I'll keep you posted, and thanks for the help.
          Rob

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 05:24:48 PM »
          As opposed to just buying a PSU borrow a known good one from someone overnight  to see if it is in fact the issue...
          As to the drive DLoad and run WD's Data Lifeguard Tools to check the drive...Free from their site.
          Run the long Test...before going to bed for the evening.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 05:26:07 AM »
            Like I said it was my problem.  Mite have tied into yours, it took me about a year till I got it tooken to a repair shop to find that out, hopefully it wont be to hard of a fix.  ;)
            Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 10:14:00 AM »
              this ever get fixed?

french253

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 02:20:44 PM »
                Hey Squall... Sorry I didn't get to post back... I have been out of town for a bit.  I got important files off the computer, reformatted the hard drive, and reinstalled Windows XP.  It runs like a charm.  Thank you for all of your help
                Rob

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 02:40:36 PM »
                  You know where we are if trouble occurs again.