Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer turns on but not fully on.  (Read 2489 times)

dignityandmoney

Topic Starter

computer turns on but not fully on.
    « on: October 15, 2008, 11:05:51 PM »
    Okay so tonight I started to get a million IE windows popups at once...then they'd disappear...then they'd come back. Eventually my computer froze so I took out the battery and tried to restart it...when I turned it on the green lights went on but not the screen at all...help!!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: computer turns on but not fully on.
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 03:29:37 AM »
    Welcome to ComputerHope.

We need more information. Please look here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,33586.html

dignityandmoney

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 10:41:56 AM »
      Sorry, it's a Sony VAIO laptop, about 3 years old. I run Windows XP on it. It began two nights ago when I was on the internet and then an a small gray error box would pop up saying something like "Cannot recognize (something)" I forget what it was but after that a bunch of IE popups would fill up my screen and then like a minute later they would disappear. This happened about five times, then the computer freezed and you know when computers freeze but are able to unfreeze? This one wasn't it just froze. So I decided to unplug the battery and restart it. When I tried to restart it the lights of the computer went on, but the screen would not turn on or anything, it looked like it was still shut off. I don't know what to do because I can't fix the computer if it doesn't even turn on...you know??

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 10:34:48 PM »
      When you turn on the computer, can you see ANYTHING on the screen if you hold it to a light or tilt it at an angle?