Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Excel - Turn Around Time Formulas  (Read 13741 times)

tinker

Topic Starter

Starter

Excel - Turn Around Time Formulas
    « on: October 23, 2008, 06:20:35 AM »
    Right now, we are having to manually calculate the turn-around-time (TAT)for each employee on each project for each set of milestone points and then do an average.  Since this report is made to our management every week, it takes one person half a day each week to prep the report. HELP! If I can get the formulas correct, this can be done automatically and pulled at any point in time.

Sheet1
    Row for each project
    Column A is the name of the employee assigned to the task
    Column B is the Project Name
    Columns C thru X are milestone points for the project where employee enters mm/dd that point is reached
    Columns Y thru AZ are fields that record the TAT between the various milestone points

PROBLEM 1 - DEALING WITH BLANK CELLS
    On Sheet1
    K2, K3, .... is the date task is started
    L2, L3, .... is the date task is completed
    Y2, Y3, ...  is formula to calculate TAT  =NETWORKDAYS(K2,L2)

=NETWORKDAYS(K2,L2)
    This formula works fine when K2 and L2 both have a date entered. If either cell is blank, I get results like -28347. I need to set up the formula so that if either K2 or L2 is blank, then no result is returned in Y2.

PROBLEM 2 - PIVOT TABLE TO CALCULATE AVERAGE TAT

On Sheet2 in the same workbook, we record the average TAT by employee for COLUMNS Y thru AZ in Sheet1. Right now, we are doing a manual count and keying in the result (you can image the amount of time this takes and the error rate).

I want to set up Sheet2 as follows:
    Rows - one row for each employee in Sheet1
    Columns - same columns as columns Y thru AZ on Sheet1
    Data - Average TAT for each employee

I know that a Pivot Table would work, but am trying to set it up where I can have all of the columns Y thru AZ in Sheet1 represented in a single Pivot table on Sheet2 instead of having to set up a separate pivot table for each column.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Excel - Turn Around Time Formulas
    « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:11:28 AM »
    Hello, welcome to the forum.

If I understand your spreadsheet application correctly, I believe this formula may be a solution for Problem 1. Try this is cell Y2:

=IF(OR(ISBLANK(K2)=TRUE,ISBLANK(L2)=TRUE),"",NETWORKDAYS(K2,L2))

I can't answer your question on the Pivot table.  I haven't used them much but, if I have a chance later to look at that and feel that I may have come up with something significant, I'll post it here.

tinker

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Excel - Turn Around Time Formulas
      « Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 05:59:17 AM »
      THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! This did the trick. Since this was the root of the invalid data calculations, it may help solve my pivot table issue. I will let you know.