Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Xplio-IDE problem  (Read 6004 times)

Captainugg

Xplio-IDE problem
« on: November 02, 2008, 07:45:35 PM »
I have a Xplio computer with a geforce 6100-m9 motherboard. AMD64 3.06Ghz processor, sp 2014n samsung hdd, 512 mb RAM and on board vid card. Windows XP OS. Computer is 3 yrs old. The problem I am having is that the computer wont boot up! I cleaned the inside and tried to power up with no success. Disconnected and re-connected all wires as well as replaced the small motherboard battery. Now the computer is saying 'IDE channel 1 no 80 conductor cable installed' Went back in and checked all connections. Still didn't work. Could someone please tell me what this means and possibly how to fix?!

BTW I am new and inexperienced.  :-[

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Xplio-IDE problem
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 05:31:02 AM »
Can you make sure the Hard Drive is connected properly (The ribbon cable to the motherboard and hard drive).

Also, can you get into the BIOS if you keep pressing either F1, F2, F10, ESC  or Delete?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 06:53:54 AM »
The error means you have an older style 40-pin IDE ribbon cable in there...not crucial but i would replace it.
Is the HDD showing up in the BIOS ? ?
The HDD should be on IDE 0 jumpered as master and connected to the end of the ribbon cable...then normally IDE channel 1 is another cable that's usually connected to the optical (CD/DVD ) drives...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kenk

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 07:21:16 AM »
    Hi,
    I have just replaced the motherboard and CPU in my daughter's computer and am getting a similar message (channel 0 instead of channel 1).
    The system boots and Windows 2000 Pro starts to load but then crashes with the jolly old blue screen (boot device).
    All drives (master, slave, CD and floppy) show on the POST screen and in the BIOS.
    Never come across an 80 pin cable before, so does it connect to the same IDE sockets on the board/drive and, more importantly, would the cable be the cause of the Windows crash or am I looking at a reload (she won't be happy about that!)?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Ken

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 07:39:38 AM »
    Welcome to ComputerHope, Kenk.

This is considered hijacking another thread. Please start a new topic.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 07:42:27 AM »
    Ken Welcome Aboard...
    First off it's best to start your own Topic even if the issues may be similar...this will ensure it recieves the proper attention.
    Now to your questions and we need some more info as well:
    An 80 pin IDE connector is the same connection to both the drives and the MBoard...the way to tell them apart is the actual wires in the ribbon are thinner ( there's 80 of them instead of 40)
    When you replace major components the system will sometimes hiccup as it's still looking for the old hardware since those are the drivers currently installed.

Repair Install of Win2K

Read thru it and get familiar...also print out a copy for reference.
    Take your time and follow all the directions.
    If done properly you will be back in business and all her data and programs will be intact...if you make a mistake you risk losing everything but you will have a clean install of Win2K

When finished the first thing you need to do is install the new MBoard drivers...they will be on the CD that shipped with the board.
    Following that then any other devices such as vid card; printer etc.

Then connect to the web and update and run all your protection apps.

Best of Luck, let us know.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kenk

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 09:02:14 AM »
      Patio,
      Thanks for the information on the cable.
      Never had much luck with the Windows repair from an ERD. Usually I end up spending the rest of the day reinstalling all the programs etc!
      Hopefully getting a new cable might get me out of that.

Carbon Dudeoxide
      I linked to that thread as:
      a)   It was an old one
      b)   It was the same problem but with a twist so I considered it relevant.

Ken