Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless Trouble  (Read 3213 times)

Safety_First

Wireless Trouble
« on: November 22, 2008, 04:10:52 PM »
Sorry for the lengthy post, I'm currently having two problems.

The wireless problem: To set the foreground: I'm trying to network one Vista PC to an XP PC, using a wireless router (Belkin),  the XP computer I need to connect via wireless and the Vista, wired (ethernet). Now the Vista PC connects fine, no problems with WAN. However when it comes to the XP PC, I cannot get it to work. The XP PC uses a wireless USB receiver (a dongle? Also Belkin), I'm sure the router is configured properly, however here's the thing; I can get the connection to work if there's no security present at all. If I enable MAC address filtering/WPA/WEP, it refuses to work. I'm using the Windows XP wizard/ network connections to configure the wireless not any of Belkin's USB receiver software (it looks something like that http://r1.umkc.edu/wireless/winxp.html). I have no clue what to do and don't like leaving it without any security because I've seen an unknown person connected to the router.

The second problem: As mentioned above I saw someone connected to my router (LINDA-PC) now I have no idea who this is, however it gets worse, I had to clear the security log (restore to factory settings) because I used the DMZ function and couldn't get the router to work at all. Is there anyway to find out who this person is or what they've used my internet connection for? Additionally I "flushed" the DNS cache, not sure what possessed me to do this as I have no idea what it does but thought for a mad moment it might help me network my two PCs. I live in quite an urban area and can't see anyone having technical PC knowledge, maybe as far as using something like Limewire. I imagine they'd be close by if they were able to connect.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 04:45:17 PM by Safety_First »

Safety_First

Re: Wireless Trouble
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 09:36:54 AM »
No worries I have sorted the problem.

Ted2

Intermediate
    Re: Wireless Trouble
    « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 03:17:43 PM »
    out of interest - how did you fix the wireless problem?
    have a problem with mine too, just surfing around before post  ;)

anyhow, i doubt we have the same problem as my wireless adapter worked, and now doesn't..  so i'll make a new post anyway!