Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installed Wireless USB Adapter but having problems.  (Read 2191 times)

lzy

Installed Wireless USB Adapter but having problems.
« on: December 03, 2008, 05:13:16 PM »
Forgive me, this is a little hefty, as I've attempted to include every detail in the hopes that it will he helpful. I apologize if I'm providing unnecessary information or coming across poorly! I'm quite ignorant as to what I'm doing.  :-[

I recently bought and installed a Wireless G USB Network Adapter on my desktop PC in an effort to capitalize on the free wireless provided by my apartment community. However, I'm having some problems... Namely neither of my internet browsers, IE or Firefox, will connect to the internet. When I first installed the adapter, IE took me to the apartment log in page and allowed me to log in, but would only load half of the pages I attempted to navigate to, and seemingly only on a random basis. Firefox wouldn't work at all. I thought maybe I needed to update the browsers, since they haven't been used in well over a year, but after updating and restarting, neither one would work at all. The curious thing is this: I shouldn't be able to connect to anything until I log in through the apartment's page (this is always the case on my boyfriend's laptop), however it was allowing me to sign on to AIM... even though my browsers still continued to tell me I wasn't connected. Today, when I thought to try again, it's now telling me that my PC is communicating with the apartment network's router, but that the router is not connecting with the internet (whereas before, everything was communicating just fine)... However, I know it must be, since I'm on my boyfriend's laptop on the same network right this instant. What's going on?

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Installed Wireless USB Adapter but having problems.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 08:08:18 AM »
Welcome to ComputerHope.

When connected, what is your connection strength?

Also, have you properly installed the wireless device's drivers off the CD it came with?