Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphics = Stumped!  (Read 2574 times)

rattle2k

Topic Starter

Starter

Graphics = Stumped!
    « on: December 16, 2008, 11:48:27 AM »
    Windows xp pro sp2
    Mobo - asus p5gd2 premium
    Lga775 - prescott 3.2ghz
    4 gigs 533 ddr2
    160 gig raid 0
    ATI HD4850
    700w PSU
    Water and air coloed

When in COD4, I suffer from terrible fps and split second lockups. As soon as I join frames drop to about 50 fps. I have everything set as low as it will go, and I am not overclocking at all. Nothing is overheating either. The more people standing around me, the worse it gets. The more smoke, fire, even wrose. This happens if I am in a full server or an empty one.

The only thing sharing the IRQ is the Microsoft UAA bus driver. I have tried changing drivers, disabling system functions, doing updates, running all stress tests and even bought new memory, and power supply. All tests have passed. All drivers give the same results. I also changed bios settings in an attempt to figure it out, but changed them back as it never made a difference.

This was never a problem before and I cant find the conflict. For a long time I was guessing that the UAA bus was conflicting with the video card. Sending sound and video information at the same time. I just reformatted and same results.

This is not a processor, Hard drive, memory, or video card issue. I used a x1900xtx before the hd4850 and the game played great. But then all the sudden, and I really can't pinpoint why, I started getting this problem. So I bought the hd4850. Any help would be insanely appreciated, I am about to put a fist into this thing.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Graphics = Stumped!
    « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 12:48:24 PM »
    Original game or an "ahem" version ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 03:28:58 PM »
      you don't have auto updates on??? Haven't updated to something beyond SP2 like
      SP3 maybe ???? MS updates can sometimes play havic with systems....and it's like
      pick and choose...some work fine others cause issues...!!! Even the incremental ones, not
      just the full blown updates....!!! IMO

rattle2k

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »
        Original game

I have reformatted and experienced this problem with all updates or without any updates at all

Shark Fin 101

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 08:38:53 PM »
          *chokes on lunch*

Frame rates DROP to 50 fps?!?!!

Kids these days.

I suppose you've reseated the video card, RAM, etc.? Do you experience this er, problem, with any other games?

Beware the talking cat

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 10:54:26 PM »
            Is this only for online play, or does it happen when offline too?

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 03:23:38 AM »
            *chokes on lunch*

Frame rates DROP to 50 fps?!?!!

Kids these days.

**Rolls on floor laughing**

I know exactly how you feel (though I am 17 :P)
            These newer, updated gamers seem to want their games to fly past at 500+ FPS or else they get bored...
            *censored* in WoW I'm LUCKY to get 50+ while roaming around. and thats with everything except for spell detail on minimum :(

Anyway, did you completely clean all of the nVidea drivers out? I recall a while ago people were saying the nVidea drivers were horrible at being removed for another card.

Try completely removing all your ATi drivers using the uninstaller, then next boot boot up in VGA mode, reboot, let windows install "WMD" drivers then get the latest drivers for your card at the ATi website, instll, reboot, and try again.

rattle2k

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 12:10:26 AM »
              It seems to be only while online, I have reformatted, I have no other games installed. My FPS was always locked at 125, i never went below that. So dropping to 50 is a definite sign of a problem. My pings are great, under 50. It's almost like the vid card is dealing with the ethernet card at the same time and can't handle it.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 04:26:02 AM »
              I know this is normally Patio's line but

Chipset drivers? did you install them? and also the recommended drivers from your Motherboard manufacturers website?

Real ATi Drivers - not windows ones, are best.

I couldnt get a direct link because ASUS use scripts, but go there, and on the right side of the page go motherboard -> Socket 775 -> Model no

and get all the newest drivers from there...

Remember, install chipset drivers first!