Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desktop, graphics resolution, ect. returns to default everytime I restart my PC?  (Read 5906 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
I like to group my icons by type of program, like all the security stuff in 1 column and media stuff in another ect. And I like my graphics resolution at 1680 x 1050. But everytime I restart my computer from shutdown it starts in 1024 x 768 resolution and my icons are re-arranged like shown in this link:

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff1/letrocrew/?action=view&current=Printscreendesktop12-17-08.jpg

Note: The resolution was already changed before the screen shot to 1680 x 1050 just so I could access my sytem tray which is not even shown on the monitor at start-up in 1024 x 768 resolution.

My PC is otherwise performing flawlessly and regular scans with Trend Micro PCCillin, Malwarebites and SuperAntiSpyware show no security problems and Secunia PSI RC4 shows no insecure or end-of-life software.
 My Nvidia graphics card and monitors are listed in my signature and my hardware profile and they all support 1680 x 1050 resolution.
What do I need to change so I take a break from re-arrainging these darn icons and resolution?
 And once again, thanks in advance to this great site and the wealth of knowledge and help available here!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
I hope I posted this in the correct forum. Should it go in another?

Raptor

You're not getting any response because no one has a clue, most likely.

I personally don't bother because I know very little about Vista.

If it were XP I'd just reinstall the monitor drivers or create a new account and wipe the old one.. But then again, if this were XP you probably wouldn't be having that problem!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Has this card always changed the set resolution upon re-boot ? ?
Have you been experimenting with new and improved drivers and or any eye-candy addons on this machine ? ?
Did you try re-installing the drivers that shipped with the card originally to see if this would hold a preset resolution on re-boot ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
Thanks for the response, although I disagree about the "You're not getting any response because no one has a clue, most likely. " part. I've received enough help on this site to know a clue exist here.
 I'm new to Vista and would maybe be able to find the solution with XP, but, from what I see so far, Vista has basically the same graphics controls but the access to them is a little different.
I'd just reinstall the monitor drivers or create a new account and wipe the old one
I don't know, but I would have to disagree there too until I find a solution via not having to create a new account?... yet... My monitors are working fine, and my graphics card drivers are up to date according to a search for a driver update, although the driver it says is up to date is an issue date of 2006? Seems like Nvidia would have a driver more current than that.
 I don't know... ???

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
Has this card always changed the set resolution upon re-boot ? ?
Have you been experimenting with new and improved drivers and or any eye-candy addons on this machine ? ?
Did you try re-installing the drivers that shipped with the card originally to see if this would hold a preset resolution on re-boot ? ?
The card has never done this before.
I only tried to update the driver from Nvidia's web site but as I said in the previous post, the newest driver is 2006.
I'll try reinstalling the original driver from the OEM disc and let you know shorthly.
Thanks patio!!!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Something has changed then for it to not hold settings...jiggle those memory cells as well and see if you can pin down any new programs installed since it started doing this.

Raptor

Thanks for the response, although I disagree about the "You're not getting any response because no one has a clue, most likely. " part. I've received enough help on this site to know a clue exist here.

Ok, so you're not getting any response on this particular subject because no one wants to help you? Whatever floats your boat!

, but I would have to disagree there too until I find a solution via not having to create a new account?

You're in a rather disagreeing chapter of your life aren't you, eh?

Having the latest drivers is not the same as having properly installed drivers. If they say they were issued in 2006, you should probably get new ones. Get them from Nvidia.com, not anywhere else. I wouldn't bother using drivers from the disc either because those are bound to be outdated.

Gakkles-3

Rookie
    Lectrocrew, there is nothing at all wrong with your system or your components.  ;D

That is just a teensy little desktop tweak. Oh, boy. There are a few, and they are a bit different for Vista and XP. But you are basically simply losing your desktop icon settings back to their default position.

It might be a right-click on the desktop and then Personalize, somewhere. Or you might go to Kelly's Korner for a script to reset it. I'll post this now so you'll get it faster than I can research it out for you.

I've done it lots of times. I can absolutely assure you that one single keystroke is causing your worries. It is a totally "nothing" problem—er, once you know where the dickens that little setting is.

[Edit] My guess is the resolution shift is causing the icons to default their position, by the way.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    I've done it lots of times. I can absolutely assure you that one single keystroke is causing your worries. It is a totally "nothing" problem—er, once you know where the dickens that little setting is.

Well you would be wrong on this because when resolution changes no settings can be retained.

Gakkles-3

Rookie
      @Patio, I'm afraid that you may be right that I may be wrong.  :P

But look. There are two problems—"everytime I restart my computer from shutdown it starts in 1024 x 768 resolution and my icons are re-arranged"—and I think the icon jump to default is a result of the monitor resolution change.

I think it may well have to do with Vista. I think Vista is your "something that has changed".

@Lectrocrew, no doubt you have experimented with each of your monitors, one at a time, to see whether the problem is in Vista's acceptance of your multi-monitor setup. (I use the same 1680 x 1050 myself, but I have just one monitor.)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      I had a nice liitle app called Desklay that would retain icon positions no matter what...
      The Author though and the app both seem to have gone misssing...

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
       I've been running Vista now for a couple of months and this problem is only recent, but it seems that it has gone away during the last 10 or so restarts / start up's. I don't know what I did, but it's booting fine. Both problems (icons moving and resolution change) went away at the same time, so the problem seems to have included both. I did re-install the driver from the OEM Nvidia disk and also downloaded the current driver from the Nvidia wesite, but this problem didn't get corrected till a few restarts afterward? Go figure...
       I guess I don't need any more help on this issue but I'll re-post to this same thread if this issue comes up again. Thanks for everyone's input and happy holidays to all of you!  :)
      Mike

Raptor

Have a good Christmas.