Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why Windows XP will go on and on. Believe it or maybe!  (Read 35767 times)

Dead_reckon

Re: Why Windows XP will go on and on. Believe it or maybe!
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2009, 07:13:22 PM »
I did read, and what you posted is irrelevant at the current point of the argument, you just don't seem to want to let the argument die.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2009, 07:32:11 PM »
I ask about a W7 demo, and somehow you throw another operating system (vista), which is potentially entirely different from W7 in my face because I've made it infinitely clear I hate Vista?

At least it still has to do with windows, instead of going into a completely off-topic rant about end-users, idiots, people, drones, and even more unrelated stuff.

W7 still uses the "tupperware" look, as you describe it.

actually, come to think of it, that's all I know about Windows 7.

no longer be reasoned with ...

You say that as if it was possible before...

Actually, come to think of it:

No, I might later on. Doubt it because I don't feel like dual booting and potentially screwing up the systems I got. Maybe you could give me a link to a minimum specs page? If it will run on a Pentium III coppermine 933MHz/133MHz FSB/256KB L2, 512MB PC133 SDRAM, 10GB IDE ATA66 hard drive, and a 32X CD-ROM, then I should be able to run it on a system I got. Oh, GPU is a 64MB 32 bit MX100, that or its a 32MB card, if it is I don't know about the bittage, its AGP 2/4x.

If that was the machine you put Vista on, it's no surprise you found the experience less then pleasant. Installing Windows 7 would result in a Less then pleasant experience as well.

Again, my point was only partially understood, the point is, in a few sentences, this; Simply put, the human race in its entirety has been solving and creating problems due to its ability to choose, as I said. Choose to act, or don't, its free will in the end, which brings us back to the root. I choose, to resist and utterly disgrace vista in every way because I despise its very being. Isn't this what humans do to things they despise though? Make them out to something there not?

So... you're saying that your making Vista out to be bad, and it's not.

now i'm thoroughly confused re: your stance on Vista.

It's also hard to "get the point" when it changes with each succeeding post.

First it's about people being drones, and doing the same thing over and over.

then it was about how the universe was going to die eventually anyway so nothing matters...

then it was about how people having the ability to choose causes all the problems.

and lastly:

I know that when I grow old, they'll just call me a senile old man, with the same reason that they call me a ignorant kid now.
I don't think you have to worry about growing old. Pessim... I mean, realists die young. well, not young young, but not old.

usually from Manic Depression.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2009, 10:18:31 PM »
Alright, that actually managed to make me laugh. As for the system I had vista on, it was my notebook. Refer to the Specs bubble to the left. It wasn't just Vista I had issues with though, I'll be clear on that. Lemme make a list of things I hate about Vista:

First and foremost, as a gamer, I hate DX10. In 2007, when I used it, with my compatible 8600M GT in my notebook, it caused HORRIBLE graphical glitches. There is no way to run anything but DX10 in vista

Secondly, I listen to music when I'm not gaming, I prefer to use windows media player 10. Come to find out, it isn't compatible with vista, only windows media player 11, which, I am not alone on hating.

Thirdly, my notebook ran vista as slowly as the 333MHz K6 AMD I have would run XP. As in, roughly 60-70% of the laptops RAM was eaten while idling, everything ran hot due to the load, the CPU would randomly spike to maximum load, and usually idle at around 30%. That's with vista dummed down too. Maybe they fixed it in the two years since I used it, but I ain't using it again! No way, no how!

Finally, the overall performance of my laptop while running vista was simply horrible. I couldn't run counter-strike: source on medium settings in vista with the latest or older drivers 'cause of DX10. Couldn't run Half-Life 2 any better either. I can run both CSS and Half-Life 2 maxed running windows XP pro SP2 with DX9, no hardware changes, just the OS.

For me, Vista is absolutely a waste of time, resources, and a strain on my sanity. This argument is becoming a strain on my sanity as well... Anyway, my laptop did get a pretty high vista score too. I'll see if I can dig it up, if I can, I'll link it to this convo. I screen shotted it before I killed vista.

EDIT:

Found the WEI score, this was before I turned of Aero to try to make things a bit more manageable.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2009, 11:57:19 PM »
roughly 60-70% of the laptops RAM was eaten while idling
well, Calum has explained that already, that's smartfetch at work.

Besides, I never... Oh, I did... say I liked Vista.

I do... but I still use XP more.

I've said it before I believe, but I ran XP on my K6-2 350Mhz for almost 5 years with few problems. didn't seem much slower then 98SE in most respects.

Windows Media Player
*Shudder*

I used to use WMP myself. Then one night I was sleepy, so I just shut off the speakers (leaving the computer playing music). In the morning, I returned, to find that RAMpage was indicating 12MB free out of my 1GB.

All of it was occupied by WMP.

so I switched to WinAMP, even though of had sworn not to... oh well. things change. I also swore not to use XP.  ;D

maybe time will come windows will be gone

In contrast to the tomes that have been posted, we have something that isn't even a properly constructed sentence.

Although I agree with the sentiment, since nothing lasts forever. Companies rise and falter. It's just a matter of time.

Who knows, maybe Twinings will take over microsoft operations.

Tech: Oh, you need the Earl Grey Edition of Windows for that.

Customer: But I have Sencha Fuji... Can I upgrade?

Tech: Oh, sorry, that's from our green line of Windows. You need to let it ferment first, then you'll be able to upgrade.

Customer:Can I use my sons copy of Windows Scottish Breakfast Edition?

tech: Sure... the EULA let's you copy it as much as you want, so long as you yell at the top of your lungs every 12 hours "I LOVE THE MALTY TASTE" and wear a kilt.

Customer: I think I will be cancelling...

killerb255

Adviser
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #94 on: January 06, 2009, 10:38:58 AM »
    No, I might later on. Doubt it because I don't feel like dual booting and potentially screwing up the systems I got. Maybe you could give me a link to a minimum specs page? If it will run on a Pentium III coppermine 933MHz/133MHz FSB/256KB L2, 512MB PC133 SDRAM, 10GB IDE ATA66 hard drive, and a 32X CD-ROM, then I should be able to run it on a system I got. Oh, GPU is a 64MB 32 bit MX100, that or its a 32MB card, if it is I don't know about the bittage, its AGP 2/4x.

Rumor has it that it is actually more robust than Vista (surprise!  That usually doesn't happen with Windows--its successor being more robust than its predecessor).

I guess the best way to put it is that Windows 7 can actually run on a machine with 1 GB of RAM, whereas Vista struggles on such machines.  I'm not sure about 512 MB, though...that might be pushing it.  If Microsoft wants Windows 7 to replace XP on Asus EeePCs, then it needs to...
    Quote from: talontromper
    Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2009, 10:57:26 AM »
    Yeah, I've heard rumors that there going to use Windows 7 as a mobile platform aswell, though I don't know if there anything more than just rumors. If that is the case, then it will definitely use less RAM than XP. In which case, I can deal with the Windows Theme By Tupperware if it comes to it. So long as there's a true classic look to windows SOMEWHERE. By classic look, I mean, things like the control panel, how XP has it as classic, not how vista has it. Come to think of it, I don't even recall Vista having a "Classic" control panel view option, just the "Uber n00b" interface.

I'm old fashioned about a lot of things, I prefer clunky CRT monitors over LCD's, I prefer old tube based audio equipment over digital stuff, unless the digital stuff is some of the good equipment from the 70's. I also prefer old automobiles, for the main reason that I know I can work on them. That, and there cheap to repair. How many people here can get there starter rebuilt for $80 without pulling half there car apart to get to it? My father and I had to pull the starter off of his '86 oldsmobile custom cruiser 'cause it was used when we threw it on there about a year before. Had to pull it off in February of 07, and it was like, 20F outside.

So there we were, legs sticking out from under the front end of the wagon laying on the cold gravel driveway. I was holding the starter with my arms stretched above my head while my father tried to thread one of two bolts that hold it to the block of the 307. I was about to drop the 30LB starter, felt more like 90LB's holding it in that position, closer to over a hundred once my arms started to cramp due to the cold and awkward position. Mind you, we had to do this in reverse to get the starter off in the first place. Its not that hard to remove if you have access to a lift, but the only thing we have is a bunch of jack stands that are older than me. Anyway, getting the alternator rebuilt was much easier.. It had the decency to die in the summer, and its practically one of the easiest belt driven devices on that engine to remove, not to put back on though.. If the belt tension is wrong you'll eat or break the belt....

Anyway, theirs a reason I'm going into computers over automobiles, for one, I don't have or want a degree in "Automotive Science". For two, I can't work on most any vehicle past 1992-'94 depending on the make/model and how much crap they loaded onto it. That, and, working on computers usually allows me to sit around most of my shift. 'Less it gets busy and I become the hardware gopher, that isn't to bad unless they want me to move some CRT monitor or desktop that was made at some point before time as we know it existed.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #96 on: January 06, 2009, 12:45:31 PM »
    lol, every sunday I get to put a truck delivery away for our Freezer. (-21 Celsius).

around 150 boxes, weighing about 60 pounds each. Not too heavy, really, but there's 150 of them.

Usually in there for an hour.

Dead_reckon

« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2009, 02:45:51 PM »
    Jesus that's a lot of food... Walk-In Freezers are great in the summer though. The one at the Kroger I use to work at had a old AOpen system monitoring and controlling it, it was running windows 2000 I think. Everywhere we go, windows plagues us. I bet if they computerized the traffic lights around here they'd use windows. Which, brings an interesting question to mind; What happens if the traffic grid computer bluescreens? Do all the lights go green? or red? Yellow maybe? Or do they stop working entirely. I'd rather not find out as long as I'm part of the traffic it affects, would be fun to watch though ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #98 on: January 06, 2009, 02:55:20 PM »
    Jesus that's a lot of food... Walk-In Freezers are great in the summer though. The one at the Kroger I use to work at had a old AOpen system monitoring and controlling it, it was running windows 2000 I think. Everywhere we go, windows plagues us. I bet if they computerized the traffic lights around here they'd use windows. Which, brings an interesting question to mind; What happens if the traffic grid computer bluescreens? Do all the lights go green? or red? Yellow maybe? Or do they stop working entirely. I'd rather not find out as long as I'm part of the traffic it affects, would be fun to watch though ;D

I'm pretty sure the traffic light computers aren't programmable- their behaviour is probably directly in the circuits and ROM chips.

People seem to completely forget the 4-way stop rule at traffic light intersections when the power goes out or they malfunction.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #99 on: January 06, 2009, 02:55:50 PM »
    Many Eee PCs have XP.

Cute  new tiny PCs between a notebook and a palmtop sell for $200.  :-*

The Eee PC comes either with either Linux or Windows XP.

Not a hint of Vista.

This will keep XP going. Meanwhile, Bill Gates is going to retire.
     Search for Bill Gates Video.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #100 on: January 06, 2009, 03:00:12 PM »
    I thought Gates resigned his Post ages ago.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #101 on: January 06, 2009, 03:50:05 PM »
    I was one year ago to day that Bill made this funny video.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEWMC4usElM

killerb255

Adviser
      « Reply #102 on: January 06, 2009, 04:45:59 PM »
      Come to think of it, I don't even recall Vista having a "Classic" control panel view option, just the "Uber n00b" interface.

Vista has a Classic Control Panel and a Classic Start Menu.

In fact, I'd say the only parts of Vista that can't be reverted to "Classic" are:
      - the logon screen
      - the boot-up splash screen
      - the Desktop icons
      - the location of profile-specific folders (C:\Users instead of C:\Documents and Settings, for example).

Also, some Windows 7 news:
      http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2009/01/02/windows-7-build-7000-outperforms-vista-and-xp
      http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2009/01/06/buy-a-vista-pc-as-of-july-1-upgrade-to-windows-7-for-free
      « Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:22:27 PM by killerb255 »
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.