Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Maxor external HD will not start (device manager code 10)  (Read 2396 times)

oneminuteofclarity

Topic Starter

Rookie

Maxor external HD will not start (device manager code 10)
    « on: December 22, 2008, 05:19:07 PM »
    I have a Maxtor OneTouch external HD that I've used before on my laptop that's running Vista and haven't had a problem. When I plugged it into the firewire connector the device manager tells me (under Maxtor Peronal Storage Security) that 'this device cannot start (code 10)'. The software is current and I haven't had any luck finding a solution on the Maxtor website or Windows Help. Maxor Manager, the program it uses, doesn't recognize a device either. I don't know too much about computers and didn't want to try to poke around too much on my own so that's as far as I've gone. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

oneminuteofclarity

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Maxor external HD will not start (device manager code 10)
      « Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 04:02:43 PM »
      It has a connection for a USB but I can't find the cord for it.

oneminuteofclarity

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 05:15:13 AM »
        Can anyone tell me where to find out more about the error codes coming from the device manager? I haven't been able to find anything about it.

oneminuteofclarity

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 11:28:22 AM »
          I hooked it up to try what you sent me and it started to work fine without me doing anything. Thanks for the help though, I'll make sure to try it if the hd starts acting up again. Thanks again!

oneminuteofclarity

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 07:46:01 AM »
            I hooked it up through the firewire like I did before and it worked. I had it connected for a day or two and without unplugging it starting to tell me the same thing. I'll try the things you said and see if I can get it working again.