Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows98 start up problems  (Read 7231 times)

steven osmon

windows98 start up problems
« on: April 19, 2005, 08:45:44 AM »
when i boot up windows 98 with startup disk it wont work. well i reformated the c: drive but when i went to install the windows 98 cd it said there was an error in reading the drives. there were no drives found. what to do. i need help. please

pcdoc4christ

Re: windows98 start up problems
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 10:49:28 AM »
Steve:

When you used the startup diskette, did you use the FDISK command or the FORMAT C: command?

Regards,
Doc

Steven Osmon

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 02:18:33 PM »
format c:. then i tried d:\setup,r:\setup,etc. but none of them worked. it always says bad command. no drives are ever found.help

thanks,
doc

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 05:03:44 PM »
Steve:

The Windows 98 SE installation CD should be bootable.  Is it a full installation CD or an upgrade CD?  If it is an upgrade CD, you won't be able to install Windows.  

If it is a full installation CD, try this:

1. Put the Windows 98 installation CD in the CD drive.
2. Remove the boot diskette from the floppy drive.
3. Press the CTRL  ALT  DEL   keys together twice to restart your computer.
4. If you see the message "Press any key to boot to the CD..." then press the space bar.  
5. If you don't see this message, wait to see if the computer will boot to the CD and begin the Windows setup.  

If you get an error message, let us know.  One of us will explain how to set the BIOS setup to boot to the CD first (if that option is available with your system's BIOS).

Regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 05:05:34 PM by pcdoc4christ »

steven osmon

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 07:26:18 AM »
i have the windows 98 recovery cd and diagnostics. will that work because that is all i got.

thanks,
steven

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 12:35:03 PM »
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000569.htm

have you had problems???like bad loading........etc.....did you format the drive ok.?......type scandisk /all   after the A:\> prompt..   and check the drives........if you have the recovery disk you should use it...

steven osmon

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 12:41:10 PM »
did all that and it wont load the cd drive at all. i did scandisk, reformated the computer. everything. nothing will work

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 08:51:02 PM »
Steven:

OK.  Here are the instructions from Microsoft for installing Windows 98:

How to Install Windows 98

After you partition and format your hard disk, you can install Windows 98:

1. Insert the Windows 98 Startup disk in the floppy disk drive, and then restart your computer.

2. When the Windows 98 Startup menu is displayed, choose the Start computer with CD-ROM support option, and then press ENTER.

3. If CD-ROM support is provided by the generic drivers on the Startup disk, you receive one of the following messages, where X is the drive letter that is assigned to your CD-ROM drive:
Drive X: = Driver MSCD001
Drive X: = Driver OEMCD001

NOTE: If your CD-ROM drive is not available after you boot from the Windows 98 Startup disk, install the CD-ROM drivers that are included with your CD-ROM drive. For information about how to obtain and install the most current driver for your CD-ROM drive, view the documentation that is included with your device, or contact your hardware manufacturer.

4. Insert the Windows 98 CD-ROM in the CD-ROM drive, type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER
X:\setup
where X is the drive letter that is assigned to your CD-ROM drive.

5. When you receive the following message, press ENTER, and then follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Setup procedure: "Please wait while the Setup initializes. Setup is now going to perform a routine check on your system." To continue press Enter.

The full instructions are here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221829

======================================

Lets check a few things:

Did you choose the "Start computer with CD-ROM support" option?

Did you see the message appear on the monitor that indicated "Drive X: = Driver MSCD001" or "Drive X: = Driver OEMCD001" (where X: is the drive letter Windows gives to your CD-ROM drive)?

Did you check the CD-ROM manufacturer's Web site for Windows 98 drivers to add to the startup disk if the generic drivers won't do the job?

Did you enter the BIOS setup to see if the CD-ROM drive is recognized by the BIOS at all?

Was the CD-ROM drive working on this computer before you reformatted the drive?

Are there scratches or smudges on the Windows 98 installation CD?

Lets us know.

steven osmon

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 08:05:18 AM »
i checked the system info and it says that there are no dirves.  mscdoo1 shows up but then it says no drives found. where cna i go to get drivers for it. it sad that i am missing line 15 in my config.sys. how do i fix that.
wont spin no cd drives at all. i tried everything.

HELP

Mac

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 10:06:58 AM »
Start by going to another virus-free computer and making a new Windows '98 bootdiskette. When it is made move the write protect tab to ensure that is does not get a virus on it.

Wash your '98 CD in luke-warm water with a drop of mild soap and a soft sponge and dry gently with a clean linen cloth.

Make sure that you delete old partitions with fdisk (don't forget to enable large drive support) then make new partitions, setting partition C: Active. Re-boot and format the partitions.

But read this before doing any of the above:

RE-INSTALLING WINDOWS '98

steven osmon

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 07:37:11 AM »
i made a new boot up disk but it still says no drives are found. what to do i do.
please help. i have tried everything.