Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slow Internet  (Read 2794 times)

Dwayne Austin

Topic Starter

Beginner

Slow Internet
    « on: July 08, 2010, 10:27:23 AM »
    I built a computer about 6 months ago it has an Asus M3A78-T motherboard with an AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core Processor 2.41 Ghz, 2 gb of ram and 1 Tb of hard drive space.  I am using Windows 7 as the OS, Internet explorer 8.  Everything has been working great up until about 2 weeks ago the internet has become desperate slow.  Very noticeable when using the search engine and Windows Live messenger checking E mails and facebook.  Response is very slow and when scrolling the screen is choppy.  I have run the usual virus and malware scans taking out everything that shows up and run a defrag, also C Cleaner.  Still the problem persists.  What should be my next course of action. Any help would be appreciated.   

thank you

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Slow Internet
    « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 10:36:03 AM »
    Do you have any other computers on the same modem? If so, are they experiencing the same issue?

Do a clean boot (don't load any apps or unnecessary services) and see if the problem persists. If it does, you might want to check with your ISP.

Dwayne Austin

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 03:22:43 AM »
      I have no other computers running, I did the clean boot and all I have for services besides the microsoft are google updates and my internet security along with AMD external events utility, now when I disable the AMD external events utility it speeds it up about 50 % but it still is not 100%.  And what exactly is the AMD external events utility.

KornmonGrim

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 09:37:04 AM »
        Hello, Dwayne Austin

Have you tried restarting your modem?

What kind of internet connection do you have? Wired or Wireless?

Have you tried Disconnecting & then reconnecting to your Internet Connection?

Internet Explorer is not the best web browser out there. I suggest using Mozilla Firefox, or you can use others depending on what one suits you.

Do you have a lot of Bookmarks, or Add-Ons? That slows down the performance of your web browser.

Do you know how fast of internet speed you have?

Would you mind telling me what you scanned your computer with?

If these do not help you, try and contact your  internet provider.

KornmonGrim helping people with their computer needs for free.

Dwayne Austin

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 09:35:25 AM »
          I switched my browser to Google Chrome  Problem solved.  Super fast.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 04:31:02 PM »
          I'm sceptical this was a browser issue all along...that's just me though.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "