Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: C64 Memory Chip Locations?  (Read 7555 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

C64 Memory Chip Locations?
    « on: February 04, 2009, 10:47:52 AM »
    I need to take the memory out of one of the c64's that dont work since the other one I have works but it doesnt see the memory in it.  tired googling it.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: C64 Memory Chip Locations?
    « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 01:53:59 AM »
    C64? Commodore 64?

I don't know much about it at all, but it looks old. What do you plan to do when you locate the memory chip?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 10:33:46 AM »
      move it to one that is working, the one that works doesnt see the memory so I suppose its bad.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 08:41:54 AM »
        never mind thanks to an manual which I never really read them unless I have too, I was able to locate them.  There soder on too the board so that means that I have to soder an such.  The only thing is that I thought that the machine I wanted working had chip creeping so I took out some chips I thought were the ram but it was like for the video an such.  It wouldnt display an found that one of them was in the wrong way.  So I dont know cause you cant really get these anymore but I want another one that I can use with out moveing it.  Any easy way to test them without removeing them like an oscilator or something.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 09:02:53 AM »
        never mind thanks to an manual which I never really read them unless I have too, I was able to locate them.

This pretty much sums up your history here...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dias de verano

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 09:09:28 AM »
        Quote from: squalloid
        so I took out some chips I thought were the ram but it was like for the video an such.

This is really funny!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 09:16:31 AM »
        Soder?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 09:23:33 AM »
          what ever, yeah it cause of does patio, why would you want to read about something if you cant use it an understand features that you may not use. 
          The chips look the same.  It's not like theres a video card or anything.

Dias de verano

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 09:35:08 AM »
          what ever, yeah it cause of does patio, why would you want to read about something if you cant use it an understand features that you may not use. 

"Duhhhh" remark of the year?

The chips look the same.  It's not like theres a video card or anything.

Except the video chip is a 6566 and the DRAMs are standard parts... oh I forgot you can't read...

DRAM chips are still available from parts distributors for less than $2 each. I wouldn't try to extract chips from a board for transplantation. They were soldered by a wave soldering machine, and the heat from an ordinary soldering iron (used twice - once for removal and again for implantation) will most likely destroy them.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 09:59:13 AM »
            I would smack you if it werent for that insight.  I can obveisly read i posted about 1,000 post, any way yes.  well I thought it was all hand soldered.  Something like that seems to advanced for them to have had.  Well thanks for telling me that at least someone on here is still familar with these.  Can you still get them in that size or would they be bigger?  I suppose it depends then doesnt were I get them all together.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 10:02:24 AM »
            First, you have over 3000 posts.
            Second, how do you know the two chips are compatible? Do they have the same amperage? Voltage? Do they fit in the right place?
            Things that are soldered on are not meant to be removed.

Dias de verano

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 10:03:03 AM »
            I don't know very much about C64s except what I found on the web. There were a number of different types of C64 and they used different RAM chips.

Dias de verano

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 10:05:35 AM »
            I would smack you if it werent for that insight. 

You'd end up in the hospital if you tried.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 10:08:07 AM »
              True I suppose i should take that into consideration when I noticed that some of the cables didnt fit.  ummm that will be hard to determine maybe i should let this go or take it to the shop some time an see if they can do it.  I am not as weak as I seem.  I dont have a belt but studied several mma an a good bit of my freinds have belts.  Aside from the aterial that I have in my room.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 10:09:45 AM »
              breaking from the conversation for just a tidbit- but doesn't the C64 use the same processor as the NES? a Motorola 6502?

Also: I cannot add anything on-topic because I haven't a god-*censored* clue what squall is saying. Something about getting belted by his friends. sounds kinky.
              I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.