Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can you put linux on a Floppy disk?  (Read 5625 times)

Briguy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Can you put linux on a Floppy disk?
    « on: February 08, 2009, 01:18:26 PM »
    I need to somehow get *censored* Small Linux on a floppy or another linux version that will install from off of the floppy. The problem is I have a Toshiba laptop that only has 64mb of ram in it and a very small hard drive and the cd rom on it doesn't work. It's running windows 98 on it.

Any ideas? Maybe somehow split the program across multiple floppy's (that would be a last resort.)

Briguy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: Can you put linux on a Floppy disk?
      « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 02:27:28 PM »
      Oh man it's a Satellite Pro 445CDT it doesn't even have a floppy drive on it.

The cd rom drive is bad or won't boot from first boot option under the bios. Could it be because I was using a RW cd instead of CD-R that threw it off?

Dias de verano

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 03:35:53 PM »
      The cd rom drive is bad or won't boot from first boot option under the bios. Could it be because I was using a RW cd instead of CD-R that threw it off?

Try it with a CD-R, and then you'll know.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 03:40:42 PM »
      I have a Toshiba 440CDX. I can confirm that it will not read CD-RW discs, and additionally refuses to read Silver-Silver CD-Rs.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Briguy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 04:00:45 PM »
        I have a Toshiba 440CDX. I can confirm that it will not read CD-RW discs, and additionally refuses to read Silver-Silver CD-Rs.

What's Silver-Silver Cd's? You talking about the color on the top of the cd?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 04:13:16 PM »
        Sorry... here, I'll explain somewhat.

CD-Rs are manufactured with two layers, recording layer and a die layer- the two colors are expressed as reflective layer-dye layer.

the recording layer I think is more important to wether a device will recognize it- for example, some recordables are "yellow" on the bottom, a shiny gold, if you will. Others are pure silvery, and others are bluish... (I hope you know what I mean...)

As an example of the "Dye layer"- take a Playstation 1 disc, with the black underside. It's really just the die layer being coloured. It is transparent to the disc laser.

Anyway- some drives have difficulty with particular colour combinations.

I originally thought that my Drive had died... but it could still play audio CDs and factory CDs... I was trying all sorts of things to fix it... then I popped in an old backup CD-R (with Blue reflective layer), and it read just fine. Unfortunately I still have a spindle of the buggers to go through, but thankfully(for me) I don't really use that laptop much.

the BEST CD-R's are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, and are Gold-Green, really quite distinctive. Note that manufacturer is not the same as the distributor...

If in doubt- buy a small pack of the "most expensive" CD-Rs- for example, a 5-pack. Make sure it isn't lightscribe or special labels or whatnot that your paying for- you just want the discs. Hopefully you'll find success.

of course- if you have available CD-R with you, just test it out. Maybe my drive is just a crapster.

Briguy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 04:31:01 PM »
          Sorry... here, I'll explain somewhat.

CD-Rs are manufactured with two layers, recording layer and a die layer- the two colors are expressed as reflective layer-dye layer.

the recording layer I think is more important to wether a device will recognize it- for example, some recordables are "yellow" on the bottom, a shiny gold, if you will. Others are pure silvery, and others are bluish... (I hope you know what I mean...)

As an example of the "Dye layer"- take a Playstation 1 disc, with the black underside. It's really just the die layer being coloured. It is transparent to the disc laser.

Anyway- some drives have difficulty with particular colour combinations.

I originally thought that my Drive had died... but it could still play audio CDs and factory CDs... I was trying all sorts of things to fix it... then I popped in an old backup CD-R (with Blue reflective layer), and it read just fine. Unfortunately I still have a spindle of the buggers to go through, but thankfully(for me) I don't really use that laptop much.

the BEST CD-R's are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, and are Gold-Green, really quite distinctive. Note that manufacturer is not the same as the distributor...

If in doubt- buy a small pack of the "most expensive" CD-Rs- for example, a 5-pack. Make sure it isn't lightscribe or special labels or whatnot that your paying for- you just want the discs. Hopefully you'll find success.

of course- if you have available CD-R with you, just test it out. Maybe my drive is just a crapster.

What brand of cd's worked on your laptop? And what color were they?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 04:35:17 PM »
          the brand that worked on it were TDK, I believe. I don't have any nearby, but I think[/t] they had a bluish reflective layer (the metal part)

Also remember to burn at the lowest speed :)