Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to boot from new hard drive!  (Read 5012 times)

pandion

Unable to boot from new hard drive!
« on: April 24, 2005, 12:09:49 AM »
Hi,

I cannot install OS to the new computer. Motherboard Asus A7V600-X KT600, hard drive 120GB Seagate Plus 7200rpm 8MB. Bios detects HDD and HDD is set to be second bootable device in BIOS. When I start computer, BIOS is readed in and there it stops. No any error message.
I can  boot from floppy. I can see hard drive from here, even format it, make partitions (FAT 32) and copy system (SYS C:). But it does make C: bootable. When trying set up Windows 2000 from Win 98 floppy disk, OS hangs after copying necessary files from CD to HDD with error message 'Runtime error R6003. Int. div. by 0'. When trying to make clean setup of Win 2000 with four floppies, OS hangs after reformating hard drive (NTFS) with no error message.
Any advices would be very welcome! And sorry for my grammar - not native around here.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 12:10:30 AM by pandion »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Unable to boot from new hard drive!
    « Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 01:11:06 AM »
    pandion.....  Exactly what do you mean by .......
    "When trying to make clean setup of Win 2000 with four floppies" ? Do you have a single M/S win 2k disk ? and you have a Win98 boot disk ........
    I'm guessing you .......got an A: prompt .......then typed Format C:      and enter ......... the hard drive was wiped clean .........then you rebooted with the win 98 boot disk .......which would load several small files as well as a driver for the cd - rom .........when that had loaded and at the A: prompt ......you would change to drive D: ( probably ) then put in the win 2k disk and type install ( I think )  followed by enter .......and it should begin to load .

http://www.techadvice.com/win2000/i/install-win2k-pro.htm

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 01:16:16 AM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

pandion

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 01:43:58 AM »
    I tried to install Win 2000 in two different ways. First making small partition (6 GB - fat 32) over Win 98 startup floppy, almost as dl65 described. Then I checked, that C: is functional using command ‘cd’ and changed to win 2000 CD-ROM, found winnt.exe and [enter].
    Second time I made clean setup (with new partitions in NTFS) using four Win 2000 startup floppy disks almost as it is described in the web link sent by dl65 or in M/S Windows homepage. Computer hanged both times just before first restart would occur in normal setup.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 01:44:31 AM by pandion »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 02:18:35 AM »
      pandion.....It's entirely possible that one or more of the 4 floppy disks had some corrupt files on them .....Can you get 4 new floppies and redownload those disks and try again .......

dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 02:19:32 AM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

pandion

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 03:10:54 AM »
      I can try that! But I keep wondering, why C: does not boot after making small partition (FAT 32) and using "sys c:". I should have "c:/" on the screen and DOS commands available! But I don't!  

jay_deex3

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 06:29:31 PM »
      did u make your c:\ drive an active partition....ifnot it will not boot from it.... use fdisk to see if the partition you made is active...