Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Flash Drive Problem  (Read 3566 times)

Alumina

Flash Drive Problem
« on: February 13, 2009, 10:11:15 PM »
Hello everybody. I recently purchased a custom-built machine running XP. I had hoped to use about a half-year old flash drive I purchased to copy information from my old machine (Running Windows ME) to the new one. Well a few days before the new computer came in I copied a whole bunch of things to the flash drive and it was working perfect. When the new computer came in I used the flash drive perfectly with it and copied the information and took it back to the old computer to put more on it and...the computer refused to recognize the flash drive was even inserted into the USB port. It doesn't show up in My Computer, Device Manager, anywhere. It's as if nothing at all is plugged in the port. And every other USB item I have works in the port; just not the flash drive. So I put it back in the new computer and it works just fine. This is so extremely frustrating...This is the only way I can transfer my information since my old computer does not have a disc drive in it. I really hope somebody can help me. Thank you!

sunilfx

Rookie

Re: Flash Drive Problem
    « Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 12:29:08 PM »
    I had a similar problem. My nephew's pc has winXP, and my pc has win98. When my nephew plugged his flash drive to my pc's USB drive, nothing worked. It seems if you use your flash drive on a pc running winXP, you can't use it on any pc running older windows versions.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 12:47:05 PM »
    Have you tried the rear ports on this machine ? ?
    I know the front ones are more convienent but give it a go...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 12:49:33 PM »
    windows 98SE and ME require drivers for removable storage devices such as flash drives. These can be found at the manufacturers website.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 12:55:44 PM »
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 02:11:20 PM »
      It only works up to xp cause they had changed the codeing thus what the older operating systems were built on is no longer applied to xp and vista
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 03:07:46 PM »
      It only works up to xp cause they had changed the codeing thus what the older operating systems were built on is no longer applied to xp and vista

his XP computer reads the drives fine. His ME computer cannot. The drivers are needed for the windows ME computer- not the XP.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 10:49:46 AM »
        oh thought he was doing it the other way
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres