Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Explorer interference  (Read 3216 times)

oldcousin

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Internet Explorer interference
    « on: February 04, 2009, 06:07:27 PM »
     Dell Dimension 2100/ 256 MB Ram/ O.S. Windows ME
         When signing on to aol and the welcome screen opens up, periodically a blank page of Internet Explorer cascades onto the screen and continues until either the pc is turned off or the memory is exhausted. This seems more likely to happen while viewing an aol news item, poll question, etc.
        Internet Explorer is not the primary browser, AOL Explorer is.
        Appreciate any help: oldcousin.

foggs

Beginner

Re: Internet Explorer interference
      « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 06:46:14 PM »
      I'm guessing upgrading to xp is not an option, nor is chucking AOL out the door, both my recommendation.

ME was nothing more than a profit booster for MS, its probably their worst offering ever (IMO), very thin-shelled,  the ONE version of windows that has the LEAST amount of experts on, heck i remember when it came out i went backwards to 98-or-forwards to win2k pretty quick.

AOL is not known in the industry (unless you only ask them) as having bulletproof applications. I've personally experienced endless problems with their software.
      Being an AOL user, I'm guessing your stuck with their "protection" as well. Again, anything but bullet-proof.

I'd suggest going to the mighty AOL for support on this-after all, its occurrence, as you imply, is directly related to their own application launch. AOL has a long, long, long, long, long history of problems working alongside Internet explorer. If this TRULY is no longer the case, they should have a quick resolution for you.
      IF they don't, please reconsider "chucking it"

Foggs

billrich

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 07:04:53 PM »
      How to Disable Internet Explorer

http://www.techsupportalert.com/how_to_disable_internet_explorer.htm

There are several disabling techniques but I suggest the method below as it's simple, easy to reverse and doesn't interfere with the operation of the Windows Update service. Furthermore it should work with any modern version of IE.

Step 1. From IE select Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN Settings.

Step 2. Put a tick in the check box next to "Use a Proxy Server for your LAN ...”
      Step 3. Type in "0.0.0.0" in the address box and "80" in the Port box. Don't type in the quote marks of course, just what's inside them.

Step 4. Click OK.

What you've done is set up a dummy proxy server 0.0.0.0 that goes nowhere. With these setting IE cannot make an HTML connection to the internet and vice versa. You have simply and effectively disabled IE.

There's no magic in the 0.0.0.0 address, any dead proxy address would work just as well. I've used that particular address to keep things simple.

If you ever need to re-enable Internet Explorer start it up and select Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN Settings from the toolbar and un-check the box "Use a Proxy Server for your LAN ...”

---------------------------------------------------

You might also remove all temporary files for IE

oldcousin

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 05:42:12 PM »
        I'm guessing upgrading to xp is not an option, nor is chucking AOL out the door, both my recommendation.

ME was nothing more than a profit booster for MS, its probably their worst offering ever (IMO), very thin-shelled,  the ONE version of windows that has the LEAST amount of experts on, heck i remember when it came out i went backwards to 98-or-forwards to win2k pretty quick.

AOL is not known in the industry (unless you only ask them) as having bulletproof applications. I've personally experienced endless problems with their software.
        Being an AOL user, I'm guessing your stuck with their "protection" as well. Again, anything but bullet-proof.

I'd suggest going to the mighty AOL for support on this-after all, its occurrence, as you imply, is directly related to their own application launch. AOL has a long, long, long, long, long history of problems working alongside Internet explorer. If this TRULY is no longer the case, they should have a quick resolution for you.
        IF they don't, please reconsider "chucking it"

[Upgrading to a new operating system with the present computer is not  the best move I fear. It has done quite well for my needs for 8 years so I think a new computer with the latest  O.S. is the best route. The problem with Win ME is too many bells and whistles for my requirements. AOL has been acceptable except for all the trash that the user has to put up with. but they all might be the same way.
        Thank You for your response: oldcousin.

oldcousin

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 01:16:24 PM »
          How to Disable Internet Explorer

http://www.techsupportalert.com/how_to_disable_internet_explorer.htm

There are several disabling techniques but I suggest the method below as it's simple, easy to reverse and doesn't interfere with the operation of the Windows Update service. Furthermore it should work with any modern version of IE.

Step 1. From IE select Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN Settings.

Step 2. Put a tick in the check box next to "Use a Proxy Server for your LAN ...”
          Step 3. Type in "0.0.0.0" in the address box and "80" in the Port box. Don't type in the quote marks of course, just what's inside them.

Step 4. Click OK.

What you've done is set up a dummy proxy server 0.0.0.0 that goes nowhere. With these setting IE cannot make an HTML connection to the internet and vice versa. You have simply and effectively disabled IE.

There's no magic in the 0.0.0.0 address, any dead proxy address would work just as well. I've used that particular address to keep things simple.

If you ever need to re-enable Internet Explorer start it up and select Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN Settings from the toolbar and un-check the box "Use a Proxy Server for your LAN ...”

---------------------------------------------------

You might also remove all temporary files for IE

Sorry to say that these settings do not apply to dial-up connections, which I have. Thanks anyway for the response:{oldcousin}