Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need more space in D drive  (Read 9422 times)

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Need more space in D drive
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 08:13:25 AM »
Hi Bob.  Let me reiterate a point mentioned several times in this thread.  Drive D should not be used for storing your files.  Here's why.  Years ago, new computers usually came with a few CDs that contained Windows and all the original software that was installed on the computer when it was new.  These CDs are very important if the computer owner ever needed to restore the system to its original configuration; this could be due to problems with viruses, hard drive failure, etc.  In recent years, computer manufacturers have stopped providing CDs, or DVDs, with new computers.  In lieu of CD/DVDs, they put all the original software, including Windows, on a recovery partition, meaning a separate area on the hard drive, labeled as drive D.  So, assuming your eMachines was issued from the factory in this way, drive D is your Recovery partition and should not be used by you for storing your files.

Several months ago I had a problem (I don't remember what the problem was) but the "D" drive was so full something I was trying to run would not run.  Someway (I don't know how) the "D" drive was freed of space and everything was fine. 
This makes me think you may have erased all the recovery files on drive D.  If so, then it can no longer be used for system recovery if needed.  Can you tell use what folders, i.e. folder names, you see on drive D?  That should be a clue as to whether you erased the recovery files or still have them.

Did your computer come with Vista when new?  If so, it surely has at least an 80GB hard drive.  What size is the hard drive?  If you open Computer, how many "drives" do you see shown there, under hard drives?  Is it only C and D, or more?   

Bobh

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 12:28:15 PM »
Soybean
Thanks for your reply.  In my first post I said the "D" drive had - BOB-PC, Recovery, and MediaID.bin files.  The only one I can do anything with is BOB-PC.  When I do a back up I am asked if I want to put it in - hard disk, CD, or DVD.   Since I don't have a CD or DVD it goes to the hard disk and is put in BOB-PC file. 
The computer had Vista in it when I bought it new.  When I look at the screen titled "computer" it shows:
   BOB-PC (D:)  8.36 GB
   Windows (C:)  103GB
   DVD RW drive  (E:)
   CompactFlash (G:)
   MS/MS Pro(I:)
   SD/MMC (F:)
   Smart Media/xD(H:)
I have never used  the last 5 as  I don't know what they are for.  I should tell you I only use the computer for  e-mail, playing jigsaw, checking weather, checking stock market reports, and a few other faverates.  Any education you can give me will be welcome.  Bob 

soybean

Genius
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 02:24:15 PM »
You computer has some small slots for different types of digital camera memory cards, right?  That's why you see:
   CompactFlash (G:)
   MS/MS Pro(I:)
   SD/MMC (F:)
   Smart Media/xD(H:)

I don't know whether you know that you could buy blank DVD disks at any office supply store and backup, or "burn", files to the DVD.  Your DVD drive may also be able to burn to CDs, not only DVDs. 

Your main issue seems to be that you want to backup files to some location other than drive C, and that's good thinking.  Your C drive has plenty of free space.  One or more additional partitions could be added and that/those partition(s) could be used for short-term backup.  But, since hard drives are mechanical devices and can fail, backing up important files, photos, etc. to some external media such as CD, DVD, flash drive, or an external hard drive is much better and safer than keeping everything on your internal hard drive.

Actually, you could create backup files on C; it's just better file management if you can separate backup copies of files somewhere other than C.  You could create a folder named Backups or whatever or use it for backed up files.  But, again, this still leaves your important files vulnerable to hard drive failure or risk if your system gets infected with viruses and other malware.

If you still want partition drive C to have one or more separate, additional partitions, Windows Vista has a feature called Drive Shrink which can be used to do that.  For information on this, see: How to Shrink and Extend NTFS Volumes in Windows Vista

Bobh

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 05:52:56 PM »
Soybean
Thanks for the information.  When I do a back up the choice given to put it is either Bob-PC (D:) or DVD RW Drive (E:).  I have resisted going to a DVD because I don't have and I don't know to use one.  I guess the best thing for me to do is to get a DVD and learn how to use it.  Thanks  You guys that write on this web site are helping me a lot as I have no one else to help me with problems.  Bob

soybean

Genius
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 06:47:46 PM »
You might also get a flash drive.  They keep coming down in price.  Here's an 8GB Kingston flash drive that can be bought now for $17.78, including shipping: Kingston 8GB DataTraveler USB 2.0 Flash Drive - DTI/8GB; I'd guess that's plenty of capacity to store your files.  If you don't want to buy something online, flash drives are sold at all office supply stores (Staples, OfficeMax, etc.) and electronics stores such as Best Buy.

A flash drive simply plugs into a USB port on your computer. You probably have at least two of these ports on front of your computer. 

Bobh

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 07:20:57 AM »
Soybean
After reading about a flash drive I think that is what I will get.  There are two ports in the front of my computer which I can use.  My only question is how to use it.  I can get it at Best Buy and I guess they will guide me.  Notice in my previous post that I listed 5 unused places (I guess they are called files) - one of which apparently took a DVD.  I am uncertain if a flash drive will work.  If I plug a flash drive in one of the ports what will happen.  I don't want you to list the whole program but just the general idea.  I hope my question is plain enough.  Thanks  Bob

soybean

Genius
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 08:40:43 AM »
When you plug a flash drive into a USB port, you'll hear an audible sound which normal.  And, if you open My Computer, you'll see another drive listed there, which will be the flash drive.  Windows will assign a drive letter to it.  Depending on how your settings for viewing My Computer are setup, the flash drive will also be categorized under Removable Disk. 

If you get a flash drive, a certain procedure should be followed when disconnecting them.  Here's a reference: SAFELY REMOVE YOUR FLASH DRIVE

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 01:47:01 PM »
At you age you get rid of the stuff you don't need and give it to use youngsters.
Upload some of the junk you don't need anymore off hard Drive and let the rest of us have it.

Then You get more space in D drive.

I am 70 and looking forwar to many years of looking at your stuff!

Bobh

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 03:03:33 PM »
soybean
I got a flash drive and am learning how to use it.  I have a back up on it and deleted the back ups on my (D:).  This increased the free space on (D:) from 10% to 20% so I am headed in the right direction.  Thanks so much.

Geek-9PM
You are right.  Today I am 87.  I can remember the depression which the people helping me with my problems can't.  As for getting rid of stuff,  I got rid of lots of money in the stock market lately!!  Bob

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 03:30:27 PM »
I got rid of lots of money in the stock market lately!!  Bob
Me too! If I had any money I would most likely short sell the big banks, but I would lose again t 'cause the FED is going to bale them out. I can't win! I can go broke, but the banks stay in business!

So, if we can clean up our computers we can save our money for beans and rice, which may soon become more important.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 03:40:24 PM »
    I got rid of lots of money in the stock market lately!!  Bob
    Me too! If I had any money I would most likely short sell the big banks, but I would lose again t 'cause the FED is going to bale them out. I can't win! I can go broke, but the banks stay in business!

So, if we can clean up our computers we can save our money for beans and rice, which may soon become more important.

if you still have your computers running for a good while then you dont have to worry about a new computer...

but as Broni, BC, and Geek said. D drive, NO TOUCHY!
    If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.